1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ricoh allowed here?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, May 14, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Well, I have finally come down off the fence and bought a mirror less system camera. Against the tide, I have bought into the GXR. I have the body, the S10 module, the excellent A12 50mm Macro and the A12 Leica module. I was also fortunate to get an electronic viewfinder.

Needless to say the prices have crashed, so it was quite a snatch. Give me a while to set it all up and I'll let you know what I think of it.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can find a couple of Voitlander lenses cheap?

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'd say that now, Ricoh makes slightly more sense here than in "Other brands".

I thought they'd announced that the GXR was being phased out (which I thought a shame)? Or was my imagination figmenting again? Or does that explain the price crash? If so, lucky you!

If you can't find any Voigtlander / Cosina glass, there's a fairly regular trickle of Russian Jupiter and Industar LTM M39 lenses on eBay, and according to a mate who's tried a few, some are excellent. I think I might avoid the ones from Ukraine though...

I look forward to reading your analysis in due course - I always thought the GXR was an interesting idea, part of why I think the merger with Pentax is a good thing - they're both innovative companies, who can think outside the box a bit.

3. Monobod

Hi,

Yes, you are correct that Ricoh are withdrawing the GXR from the UK. I am not sure what is happening though in Europe. The prices have most certainly crashed as a result, but I think this camera was a technical success, but a financial failure. In its original price range it was expensive, for sure, which is why it didn't sell in large numbers, but bits are flying off the shelf now and some items are like hens teeth, such as the electronic viewfinder.

Everything has come this afternoon except the viewfinder, which is expected shortly. WEX still has some, but they are asking a lot of money still. All of mine has European warrantees, but also two manuals, one in German, the other in English. Perhaps they are shunting stock around as it is ordered.

The DPreview of the A12 50mm macro is excellent, so I am looking forward to using this lens. The sensor is the same as the Nikon D300 I am told. The build quality is top notch, everything is in full metal jackets and it feels solid. Buttons are very tactile and it is so conveniently small, but not too small. it certainly has it all in the box. Printed manuals, body strap, soft pouches for the lens units and slip on covers for the terminals on the lenses and the body.

More to follow.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I hope so, M_B, cuz I've got "Vancouver skid row special", the Ricoh GR_IV,
    get it ….. IV ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. Monobod

That looks stunningly good jack, on the Ricoh website.

I must say I am very impressed with the results from the GXR A12 50mm unit. With the APS-C sensor and a prime lens, I suppose it should be really. Some sample shots taken in London are on my Flickr site.

Looking forward to seeing some from the GR IV. :)

Having a struggle getting a new VF-2 EVF for it, but I have tracked down a s/h unit in A1 condition for just £100. I just hope the guy at the camera shop has got it right and not sent me the optical one. Oh! :confused: You will hear the screams in Canada if he has!

6. Monobod

Hi,

Searching for a VF-2

It has come and it is the VF-2 electronic and it works. I'm really relieved as it seems they are no more! Nobody has one not even the three companies I tried in America. On top of which I have saved myself £120.00, which can't be bad.

I just need a Kipon adaptor so that I can use my Pentax 50mm f/1.7 (75mm equivalent) and the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 (36mm equivalent) on the Leica mount unit and I'm away. Using hyperfocus settings at say f/5.6 and everything from about a metre to infinity should be in focus.

Buying into a redundant system has a few risks of course, not sure what happens under warrantee of something really goes bang, but there was such a financial saving to be made it was too good to miss.

The camera with the EVF mounted is a totally different ball game. It makes it into a very usable bit of kit and the ease of changing modules is as quick as changing lenses on the dslr. Added to that is the small size and light weight convenience of it all.

7. Monobod

Just ordered a Novaflex LEM/PENT NT adapter, which has a control ring for the aperture on lenses that do not have an aperture ring, sich as the limited primes.

It should be here tomorrow, then I can use the A12 Mount module to full effect.

8. Done_rundleCams

Wooooo Hooooooo …. Good stuff, M_B :) and, if memory serves, the Novaflex stuff ain't inexpensive :eek: ……. but, well worth the cost :)

Cheers and looking forward to some GRX et al pics :)

Jack

9. Monobod

Hello Jack,

Yes, it was £139 but of course I had saved £120 on the VF-2, so it was not so painful. Lets face it, much like lenses, one only buys it once with a bit of luck.

It has come and it is very well made, the tolerances are very close, much more so than on the 'Kipon' that I borrowed from a friend. Made in Germany, not China if that makes any difference I have no idea. My Pentax flashgun was made in China and that is very well put together.

The little EVF is really great, clear as a bell, (strange comparison) :) and it makes all the difference. Its the one thing I hate most about my G10, not having a proper finder.

Just got to find time to get out in the big wide world and take some pictures! At least the summer seems to be coming at last.

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B,

I forgot, you did make out like a bandit on the VF ;), and, here is a pic of two (2) photojournalists -- on the left, is famed Ted Grant, shooting since 1950 :eek: and, on the right, is Andy Clark, shooting since 1970 (smaller) :eek: and any of their absolute cr@ppiest pics would be Pulitzers for me :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Jack