1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

    Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is Pewter safe to drink from

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RogerMac, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. RogerMac

    RogerMac Well-Known Member

    I have several pewter tankards that I were won as sporting trophies in 1961, I know that old pewter contains lead and is not safe to modern standards and modern pewter is lead free - I was wondering if anyone knew when the transition was made and if 1961 tankards are safe to drink beer from

    Thanks in advance

  2. spinno

    spinno Well-Known Member

    I wouldn't risk it. Probably lots of lead in there, and who knows what else...arsenic?
  3. beejaybee

    beejaybee Marvin

    Beer should be safe enough. Fruit juice, which is acid, can dissolve sufficient lead from pewter to be hazardous, but you'd probably need to drink several times a day for many years to build up a dangerous load.
  4. geoid

    geoid Well-Known Member

    Live dangerously, I think PCP's from your carpets and furniture are probably more carcinogenic. :D
  5. spinno

    spinno Well-Known Member

    that's after you've fallen over from drinking all the beer..... :D
  6. john_g

    john_g Well-Known Member

    What's the problem? Surely you just assume that it is unsafe and therefore drink your beer as quickly as possible? Result!

    Mind you, it has got me wondering... I used to sometimes have lunch at the Guildhall in London, where beer was served in half-pint pewter tankards that had been in service for many years - sometimes many centuries. So were all the old buffers just old buffers, or were they movers and shakers that had been prematurely sent doolally by lead poisoning?
  7. AlecM

    AlecM MiniMe

    Either way John, just post a few mad ramblings on here, then make a claim against them for sending you that way!
  8. beejaybee

    beejaybee Marvin

    Lead poisoining will probably make you forget ...
  9. Bawbee

    Bawbee Well-Known Member

    Yes, go on John, you've already completed the first part, now go sue /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :D ;)
  10. LargeFormat

    LargeFormat Well-Known Member

    Since the late 1700s all pewter made in the UK or the USA has been lead free. The typical composition is tin approximately 92 percent with 7.5 percent antimony and 0.5 percent copper as the standard alloy.
  11. john_g

    john_g Well-Known Member

    Ok, but stop calling me sue!

    Will you do one of those legal things saying I've been mad for a long time... 'ave a david or whatever it's called?
  12. spinno

    spinno Well-Known Member

    oi leave me out of it you mad fool
  13. RogerMac

    RogerMac Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the reassurance

  14. Learning

    Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

    Oh dear. You don't really fit in at Guildhall, do you?
  15. John_K

    John_K Well-Known Member

    So long as it is ENGLISH PEWTER. That is made to a British Standard of 92% tin, and the remaining 8% made up from Antimony and Copper.

    Foreign pewter does have a certain percentage of lead,.
  16. RogerMac

    RogerMac Well-Known Member

    I have just checked the tankards and all four are indeed English Pewter.

    Thanks everyone for the help
    :D :D

  17. spinno

    spinno Well-Known Member

    ....cheers :D
  18. RogerMac

    RogerMac Well-Known Member

    Yup, had a pint out of one of them this evening, it gave me great pleasure to be using them again.


    Thanks again for all the useful information


Share This Page