1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth sticking with Sony Alpha DSLT(R) cameras?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by DHannigan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. DHannigan

DHannigan Active Member

Hi all
    I have had a couple of DSLRs, started with A200 then moved to A65. Some bar steward broke in a few weeks ago and relived me of the A65 and all lenses apart from a couple of dodgy ones that I rarely used.
    Now insurance claim going through and I need to think about replacement of said camera & lenses. I have been a bit concerned recently that Sony have basically given up on the DSLT(R)s and are concentrating on the mirrorless cameras.
    From what I can tell the direct replacement for the A65 is the A68, which although better in some areas seems a step back in others.
    As most of my gear was nicked now would be a good opportunity to switch systems. I have had no word yet from the insurance, although a new for old policy, I suspect they will offer to replace the A65 with an A68. I think I could opt for cash equivalent but suspect I would loose out somewhere.
    Anybody any thoughts on whether to stick or twist please.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I do feel that Sony are in a bit of a mess with their camera line-up now. I do have an A65, which is in performance terms fine, but I do not like the evf particularly, preferring the optical pentaprism system on my A850.

Since you are starting anew in effect, assuming they pay you rather than present you with an A68, it is really a matter of deciding which system and cameras you prefer and fit your needs. It's the old advice of go and handle them, it may be a case that you might like to go mirrorless, should these fit your requirements, although you end up with evfs, except with the Fuji X-Pro cameras that also provide an optical finder up to 60mm focal length.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to second nimbus. Over the years Sony do seem to have tendency to lose interest in products if they come up with a new idea.

4. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

As a Sony A mount user I would agree with the other posters that unless you have a particular reason to want to stay with A mount then I would look at other options.
    The A68 is in most aspects a downgrade on your A65.
    Sony is on record as saying it considers A mount as a professional system rather than being aimed at consumers and (A68 aside) their lens/camera releases seem to reflect that.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I originally went into Sony with the A850, which I still have, mainly for the superb fast Zeiss lenses that are available for the system. Would I do so in late 2016? I have to say no, not due to disappointment with the system, but simply down to the way the system has not really been developed. I still believe these lenses are amongst the best on the market with quality optics and build, the move to SLT even at the high end, with the inferior, in many situations evf, would deter me from entering the system, I would now choose elsewhere, in fact I also have a Nikon D610 and a few lenses, which I use in certain situations in preference to the A850. As a camera and for prime lens use I prefer the Sony.

6. DHannigan

DHannigan Active Member

Thanks for the replies, what I expected I suppose. Are there any suggestions as to which system and cameras come closest to the A65. I suspect if I insist on cash instead of replacement I wont get full retail just what the insurance company would pay for replacement. I certainly would not want something less capable than the A65. Currently thinking Nikon 7200, any thoughts please.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The A65 is in my view rather a strange camera in it's way. If you are comparing it with Nikon, the closest is probably a D5200 or D5300, but my preference as a camera would be a D7100 or the later D7200. What all of the Nikons lack though is the sensor based anti-shake system of the Sony, which turns all lenses into image stabilised lenses, albeit allegedly slightly less effective than a lens based stabilisation. The D5200/5300 are of similar resolution (Sony supply the sensors btw) and build. The D7x00 cameras are larger, rather heavier and feel more robust than their more compact and less expensive siblings.