1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it viable to be a photographer for your day job?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by KierFX, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Thanks.

A strange mixture of the depressing and the encouraging. The loss of "real characters" seems to be endemic across all of photography. As does the discouragement of good photography, because the suits can't recognize it when they see it. There's less and less passion left in everything, and more and more corporate identity and blind accountancy.

Cheers,

R.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's not just photography, Roger; it's why I'm doing what I'm doing.

3. Roger Hicks

Dear Nick,

Hence "everything" in the post in question. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

Cheers,

R.

4. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right when you say the "suits" don't recognise good photography anymore. On the tabloids a picture usually has to contain an "A list celebrity" to gain their attention...probably arriving or departing a currently fashionable club, and if they're in the company of their current "squeeze" the editor will love it all the more.

5. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Yes, my experience too. In fact in my school it seemed that they saw their roles as being to beat any sign of creativity out of us.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Willie,

Eeee, you were lucky. We weren't just beaten, we were starved as well... (cue Four Yorkshiremen sketch).

Seriously, Frances has long wondered about how her careers adviser would have looked peering out of a forest of of typewriter keys after she had crowned him with a Royal typewriter.

Cheers,

R.

7. Roger Hicks

Also known, in all too many cases, as a "Z list human being".

Cheers,

R.

8. Roger Hicks

C'mon, Kieran. What IS your photographic ambition?

And did you ever get the Arles PDF?

Cheers,

R.

9. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

In 10 years time I would like to be perhaps a fine arts photographer or to be a fulltime landscape photographer selling prints. Since both of these are insanely hard to be good at I will more than likely go into a different area of photography in a few years time such as weddings and then do my preferred area - landscapes, in my free time. By doing this I would still be doing photography for my day job, even if it isn't my preferred area. I want to be a photographer also because i'd love to travel across the world and be paid for it (if i was a landscape photographer). Would especially like to visit Asia.

10. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

Learn about making commercials, maybe more $ in that.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Weekend job maybe.

Or at least that's what I found...plenty jobs at the weekend but very little through the week. I can't get excited about strangers' weddings, don't like posing people, not good at product photoshoppery, jobs for papers seem few and far between and not worth the money.......

That's just me though....I hope you have more fun than I did if you give it a go.

Last weekend I shot a gymnastics comp and by Friday will have sold at least 20 sets of images where the going rate should be about £25 a set. It was for the club my kid goes to though so I agreed it was my time for coaching time and the club sells the images.

12. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

yeah maybe. Thats really good about the gymnastics comp. I'll look into different areas later.

13. Roger Hicks

Sure, there's money in it, but it sounds about as attractive as chartered accountancy to me. I know that some photographers do both still and video but they're such different media that it's possible to love the one and to be left stone cold by the other.

Cheers,

R.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Did I wish you luck? I have now :)

Through the summer there's loads of outdoor sports that attract large numbers of amateur competitors and there are companies that put together a team of photographers and pay the organisers to be able to photograph the event and sell the images to competitors, spectators and sponsors. Charity runs, cycles, triathons, tough mudder type events.....lots of those events have official photographers and it seems fairly easy to get into if you have a half-decent camera and some action shots in your portfolio.

15. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

yeah, i'll look into something like that in the summer next year. I was going to apply to be an volunteer photographer for my local music festival, Looe Music Festival, however I just decided to enjoy the event instead.