1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to go full frame?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by andy8442, Aug 7, 2017.

1. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

So... I've killed my 650D, and I'm in the market for a new ( or nearly new) camera. Do I go full frame, and if so which one? There are lots of 5D mkii's out there, and I'm very familiar with this camera, but they are generally well used and often abused. I've got about a grand, what do you all think?

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You'll get a better quality second hand 6D for that money than you will a 5D3 (I've been looking a lot recently). For about £900 you'll get a 9/10 second hand 6D from somewhere like Wex.

It doesn't have some of the focussing features of the 5D3, but you're stepping up from a consumer level camera to semi-pro/pro so even the 6D will be a signfiicant move forward.

What lenses do you have for the 650D?

RogerMac likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Impossible to say really. There are now so many lenses available for crop-sensor cameras that all applications are covered. I prefer to use a full frame camera but I went from 35 mm film direct to 5D. My "crop" sensor is a x1.5 CSC which I use if I am space/weight limited. I prefer to use my Canon with a 16-35 mm lens than the CSC with a 10-22 mm lens which I don't think looks "right" at the short end. I have a x1.3 crop body bought for wildlife/sports but I don't like it with anything shorter than a 70-200 on it, feels too cramped. I wouldn't pay a grand for a 5Dii I would think a 6D is the way to go if you are so inclined.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Your budget ought to buy you a really good 5Dii and leave some change. A friend bought a mint, low shutter count example about two years ago from a dealer for comfortably under £800. As said a 6D might be a good choice. The move may well be a matter of what you have in the way of lenses.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 6D is in my opinion a far superior camera to the 5D II, particularly at higher ISO levels.

6. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

My only EFS lens is a Canon 15-85mm, an excellent lens, the rest are L series and various primes. The 15-85 still fetches a good price on Ebay, and will be going on there to fund a replacement. What is the 6D like in video mode? I've used the 5D ii for years as a video camera, so know what to expect , but the 6D is new to me.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I take very little video but when I do it just seems to work without fuss.- as everything else on the 6D does.- but no doubt somebody else will comment on the detail of that.
    As an aside you might like to look at my new avatar - taken yesterday by a 12 year old granddaughter using my 6D in appalling light (ISO 10,000) hand held. I think that it illustrates the fact that full frame (especially the 6D) reaches parts other cameras cannot

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Clearly you have thought ahead with your lens choices. Just do it!:)

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I agree with Nick!

I had the 5D Mkii and hated it - only thing in its favour is the faster shutter speed (1/8000 - rarely used though) and faster Flash sync.