1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me, or is posting photos difficult on this site?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Digitalmemories, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Is it me being dense, or do the photo posting instructions need updating?

I've read the instructions for posting from the gallery, and it says go to Diect Link - but don't see that? I do see BB codes, but when I paate these links in to a post I just get a box saying 'img' in the preview?

In Flickr I don't see an option for BB code, only html?

And in some threads I see an option to upload images directly, and it works, but this method is not covered at all in the Help threads?

And finally, there seems to be no way to set an avatar image?

I'm impressed with activity on this site, but struggling with it's operation.

Screenshot_20170607-231733.png

exspmr likes this.
  2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

In Flickr, click on the 'share photo' icon - you get to this by clicking on the image that you want to share and looking at the row of icons that appear bottom right of the picture. The 'share' icon is usually the third one in the row and looks like an arrow curving to the right. Once you click the 'share' icon a dialogue box appears. Along the top of the box are options for 'Share', 'Embed' 'Email' and 'BBCode' - select the BBcode option and pick the appropriate image size (usually Medium 800x???). Copy and paste the highlighted BBCode that it gives you into your post and that should do the trick.

Cheers, Jeff

Digitalmemories likes this.
  3. Digitalmemories

Thank you!

Looks like I need to dust off the laptop, as there's no BBcode option on a mobile.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

can't do it from my ipad either. I can get the BBCode box but not select the contents for copying.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Upload direct should work on an iPad as long as you don't exceed the size limit. Cannot do it from the Flickr app. Please note that the posting instructions are out of date.

6. PeteRob

I thought the posting instructions were OK. They had been adapted for the new site. Direct upload interests me not at all. The only images of mine I can see from the ipad are on Flickr.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

If they are up to date where do they cover direct uploads and why dated 2011?

8. PeteRob

The fact they include Bbcode and the gallery. The old forum software you used to have to cut the URL out of the middle of the Flickr supplied link and attach it between IMG flags

9. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I've always found posting images on this site, and others, extremely difficult and the instructions unfathomable so I don't anymore. I can just about cope with Facebook but am as IT illiterate as I ever have been.

Toodle pip, Andrew

King Kenny and Digitalmemories like this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For images on your computer
    1. Prepare your image (i.e. get a JPG ready, on your computer, with the long edge at 800 pixels - if you want to abide by the current guidelines)
    2. Start a new post, or go to the reply box
    3. Click the 'upload a file' button (bottom right in the reply box, middle bottom in the new thread box)
    4. You'll get a popup window, click browse, and then find the image on your local computer
    5. Once selected, you'll get a thumbnail underneath the post of your image, the filename, and two options - thumbnail or full image. Click the full image button.
    I don't get why that's hard?

11. EightBitTony

For images hosted on the web, where you can see the image using a simple URL
    1. Start a new post or reply
    2. Click the 'Image' button in the toolbar above the post (it's the box, with a landscape a little sun icon)
    3. Paste the URL into the dialog box.
    4. You're done.
    NB: This only works, when the URL shows just an image. It doesn't work where the URL goes to a website which surrounds the image with other stuff. So it works for some sites and not others. That's nothing to do with AP, that's just how it is. Usually, but not always, this means the URL should end with .jpg or .png or similar, if it doesn't, then this process isn't likely to work.

12. EightBitTony

For images hosted with other image hosted sites
    1. Each of these sites will have their own instructions for sharing images.
    2. This again, is outside the control of AP.
    3. Sites like Flickr allow you to use either a simple URL, or BBCode, but that's a function of Flickr. If you get a simple URL which ends in .jpg (for example), use the 'Image' button, if you get the BBCode from Flickr you can just paste the text straight into your post.
    4. Other sites will have their own methods - you either need a simple URL or BBCode from those sites.

13. EightBitTony

You need to make a certain number of posts before you can set an avatar. There are about 15 posts on the site discussing the same issue (so a quick search would reveal that for you).[/QUOTE]

14. Digitalmemories

This option is only available in some threads, and it's not covered in the Help section. I've already done it this way. But in other threads you need to paste a URL or BBcode depending on the host site. Not simple

15. EightBitTony

I don't understand what that means - the upload file button shows up on every single post I ever make - I can upload images anywhere using that option.

16. Digitalmemories

[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is the issue. I've seen people with 15 posts who have a photo avatar, but at over 20 posts I'm still getting the 'You do not have permission" message.

I also don't follow the logic? On some other (non photography) sites I use, you have to set up a photo avatar and full profile before you can post - as this deters the post and run spammers. But with AP you have to have a knob as an avatar.

17. Digitalmemories

Perhaps it's because I use Android? But in over half the threads, the file upload option is not there. I had to upload a file and paste a link to add a photo to the current thread about mobile phone use for example, as there was no Upload file button. With help from other posts I managed it, but the Help instructions don't work witbout extra support from members.

18. EightBitTony

You're wrong, it is the issue. There are several posts which give the exact number you need to make before you can set one.

19. Digitalmemories

Not sure why your posts seem to be so aggressive, but in the Introductions SE tion thete were people who had 15 posts (now 20) and an avatar, and that Confused me.

I see now it's 30 posts, and this my 29th.

Still seems illogical to me though

20. EightBitTony

Asserting I'm correct and you're wrong isn't aggression, it's impatience.