1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is criticsm just plain silly?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Andrew Flannigan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Think you have it there, Steve.

2. 0lybacker

Think you are right, there can be an element of that but look at what newbies post here "I want to learn", "I'm only just starting out and know I've got a lot to learn", and "I'm on here looking for some help" . Teachers teach in all sorts of ways, with humility, also without, although in my experience the latter group are small and often have impressive track records. In a way, I don't care if I can glean some nugget of useful information from them or merely be entertained by them or, on a good night, both.

3. 0lybacker

Hi Andrew, The trick is to make everyone care about your Uncle Albert. Then you are on your way to having it cracked!

4. Sometimes it is hard to take criticisms when they can be so contradictory, when the feedback is technical great, but when it's emotion driven, if I feel the same I take it on board, otherwise I acknowledge but keep going.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Beyond a very basic level all criticisms are going to be "emotional". If they are still technical, the author is still on the first rung. Only taking it on board if it is in line with what you feel, is just going to seriously inhibit any development. Probably the most instructive criticism can be what you most disagree with. Even if you end up still disagreeing, you will have a much firmer basis for what you feel.