1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Jonathon, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

2. ahar

ahar Well-Known Member

Re: iGroan

Rubbish - capitalist market mechanisms are (in perfect conditions, ceterus paribus) the ultimate democracy. The masses have voted with their purchases in their millions - given they choice they PREFER their phones with more, not less features. If that's not your preference, you've been outvoted - that's how a democracy works. The phone makers are businesses, they respond to what the market wants. If people only wanted simple phones that is what they would supply. They're not stupid - most people want feature rich phones so that is what they supply.

I don't see the problem - there are a wide range of phones available, many free when you sign up to a network. If you don't want the features, don't use them. A simple, no features phone would be MORE expensive as the demand is not there for one and it would not benefit from the massive economies of scale that the more feature rich phones benefit from.

I can't see how the extra features get in the way of the phone functionality - if they do on your phone then you should get a SE K800i. If I want to type in a number, I do then press the call button. If I want a speed dial number I press, for example, the number 1 (for my wife's mobile) and then press call. If I want a phone number from the address book I press a single button and it appears. How does all the other stuff get in they way of that?????

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The increase in features on mobile phones and other electronic equipment is more due to manufacturers being driven to increase year on year, their sales by the stock markets who expect them to deliver ever-increasing sales. There are many people who seek a product that puts absolute control in their hands, rather than take it from them.

After all, on a camera, all that is actually needed to deliver a photograph, is a way of ensuring that the image is sharp exactly where the user wishes it to be and finally, shutter speeds and F-stops to control the amount of light reaching the recording medium, plus unwanted movement and what areas of the image are sharp. To satisfy those needs, the photographer requires no more than 3 controls.

When one considers that prior to the 1900s, the level of the prevailing light was mainly calculated by guesswork and prior experience, I suppose we really should be ashamed with ourselves for relying on so many additional gizmos when one considers the image quality delivered by many pre 1900 cameras!

Modern cameras just increase our 'chances' of producing an acceptable image. At the end of the day they do not enable us to generate better composed or more interesting images! Those two parameters wholly rely on our ability to compose an interesting or 'artistic' image. As yet, electronics have yet to come up with a device that delivers anywhere near the levels of sophisticated 'computing' power that the human brain brain is capable of, for the same volume of space.

4. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Er, regardless of space, I think! ;)