1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Jonathon, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: As Could Have Been Predicted....

Hmmm, I think it's Apple's corporate arrogance that's the issue here. The iPhone moniker dates back 10 years, and Apple were fully aware of that fact - they just chose to ignore it.

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Hang on a bit. Apple tried several times to licence use of the iPhone name without success.

The iPhone brand is not solely the concern of either Cisco or Apple. If Cisco own the rights to the name, have they sued this company for example? Have they themselves done anything to justify clinging on to sole ownership of the iPhone name - do Cisco have any iPhone products or just the name?

This is a bit like Apple Corps (ie the Beatles record company). Ask people nowadays what they think of if they hear the name Apple. I suspect only a very small percentage (and they would be either of a certain age, or music buffs with little interest in computing) would come up with the Beatles before the computer company.

In the same way, suggest a product called i-something-or-other to people, aand ask which company they might associate with such a product. What answer would you get?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Precisely! So having not got their way, they've been brazen enough to ignore it! Unbelievable arrogance!

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yes, but what are Cisco doing with it? If nothing, isn't that rather similar to cybersquatting?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They launched an iPhone some time back. And as the name is over 10 years old, i.e. predates Apple's use of such a name, how could it possibly be any such thing?

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

iGroan

See here

7. PeatSmoke

PeatSmoke Well-Known Member

I agree absolutely, they're so quirky, they think that they only have to come up with something a little bit inovative (Which I think their 'ApplePhone' probably is), add an "i" prefix to its name and the punters will come flocking to buy it!!

Maybe, Cisco thought that there was a money for nothing issue here, just like the individual who registered the MacDonalds domain name.

My initial point was simply that I like to watch the corporates playing silly little games for high stakes when they could be getting on with what they're best at, and this ain't it..

8. rephoto

rephoto Well-Known Member

so enlighten me, what the hell has all this go to do with photography exactly?

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

It's got a 2mp camera built in!

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re: iGroan

The poor dudes do sound a bit...antique and in the extreme minority though, no? :D

11. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

He did have difficulty in not saying iTV :D

12. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say so. I also fall into the camp of wanting a mobile phone to have excellent phone features. It seems that the ergonomics of the device as a phone, the audio quality, sensitivity in poor reception areas, the ease of use of the phonebook etc. all seem to play second fiddle to the MP3 player, camera, organiser etc. A lot of people seem to think that the best phone is the one with the best games, highest MP camera and greatest storage space for photos and video but a phone is a phone and to have the very feature of what they are meant to be about compromised by spending R&D on other features simply to attract the gadget freaks is really galling to those who just want a decent phone.

What if the functionality of a camera was poorly developed or compromised to fit in an MP3 player and a few games and still had to meet an acceptable market price - you wouldn't be too happy. Maybe you'd look for a camera without those features. Try looking for a phone without the gadgets and you'll see why some people are frustrated. A phone is no longer a phone - it's a gadget centre for the techno freak. I'm not saying that such devices shouldn't exist, just that those who don't want the gadgets have no choice.

13. ahar

ahar Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you're in a small enough minority that it's not worth the phone companies spending any money on producing a basic phone. They're not missing market share as if you want a phone you'll have to buy one anyway. The Market's a democracy and unfortunately for you the masses have voted the other way.

I like my phone gadgets (camera, internet access, games etc) but I can't see how the phone features can get any better. My SE K800 has speed dialing, one touch address book access, a speaker so I can put the phone down if I run out of hands, easy mute and volume controls and easy hold/second line functionality. I use pretty much every single feature of the phone part all day long in my job and find it very easy to use, but these features have been the same on SE phones for years - I just can't see how they could improve them. The only other factor is getting a good phone signal, but the phone companies are limited with what they can do by regs on microwave emissions (giving an upper limit to the power of the signal the phone can emit) and battery life.

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Hmm I dont think anyone's getting it. Think of it as a mini computer that just so happens to have a phone on it...

15. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

iPad ...

16. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Its a phone.

Graeme

18. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

More like iMoan.

Come back with the knocking when it has failed miserably.

19. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

. . . . . like my Palm Treo 650 . . . . :D

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It's just another phone, does the world need another phone?