1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad App review

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Stoneshooter, Aug 3, 2012.

1. napster

napster Member

I'm not a print subscriber. I subscribe to the iPad edition only.

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

OK, when would you like to receive the issue date 25-Aug-12?

3. napster

napster Member

The same day as the print edition comes out. Not the day before the next weeks print edition comes out.

4. napster

napster Member

I finally managed to download last weeks edition today. So I'm a week behind.

I've been n touch with IPC and they old me to contact Apple. I've been touch with Apple and they have told me to contact IPC.

I've sent both replies back to each other.

Any chance that someone from AP could respond to this to let me know what or where or who the problem is? If I'm doing something wrong then I'll be the first to hold my hand up. However, I'm subscribing to a daily newspaper and a couple of other magazines which are all working correctly.

5. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

6. napster

napster Member

This was the reply I received from Apple last week:

Weekly edition subscriptions for iPad are always sent to iTunes one week after the print edition is released. The one week delay is the time allotted for us to receive the copies from IPC Media Limited.

7. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

As far as I'm aware, it should go on iTunes the same day it goes on sale in shops.

I'll double check this with the iPad support team here.

8. napster

napster Member

Thanks Karen.

Currently I'm getting the iPad edition exactly one week after the print edition is published.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I looked again. Bookshelf offers the last Saturday dated version. This being the cover publication date.

10. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

11. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

I have an update for all of you on what's happening with the iPad issues.

The problem is the system getting upset with our cover dates, as the issue on sale on the 4th (that the subscribers receive on the 1st) has the cover date of the 8th. The system wasn't able to handle releasing this early, without charging people, so the issue was being held back.

This has hopefully been rectified now, so from next Tuesday, the issues should be released on time, and subscribers should be able to access it for free.

If any of you have problems after next Tuesday, with either not being able to access the latest issue, or not getting it for free if you subscribe, then please let me know.

But only if this happens after next Tuesday, as this is when the issue currently on sale, and next week's issue will show up.

12. napster

napster Member

Many thanks again Karen.

13. napster

napster Member

Just wanted to say that all was well for me this week. The current edition was available on Tuesday.

Thanks again Karen.

14. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Due to a late postie las Saturday, I have read my latest copy before seeing the hard-copy.

I am having trouble though - with the double-tap to zoon in, it is intermittent and doesn't work at all for the adverts. (will be passed on to the proper source).

15. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

Some of the ads don't zoom in, as this would mean the file sizes and the download speed of the app would be prohibitive.

Thanks

Karen

16. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Just started a subscription (paper) mainly so I could get the slightly cheaper iPad version free of charge.

However the first two editions I downloaded have the same issue. It looks as if formatting lines are stuck on my copies, the sample I downloaded a while ago was perfect - hence why I subscribed (Just as my Zinio sub is running out).

I still got both Zinio and Newsstand available - so I've got a couple of samples.

Newsstand Edition (via subscription)

[​IMG]

Zinio Edition

[​IMG]

To be honest if this is the normal quality, then I'll be asking for my subscription to be be cancelled.

17. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

It would appear to be a problem with the software RIP.
    I would suggest contacting the Online Manager - details in my signature

The 'lines' appear to fall where one may expect the boundaries of various 'digital' elements to be. The vertical orange bar - the lower oval vignette etc.

18. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Out of the blue a copy of the mag appeared in the post which was a surprise as I cancelled the subscription. I was wait for someone to contact me, but they never did. Sadly the current download issue is the same. So looks as if the sub is back on. I'll call them in the morning.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you are a subscriber to this new fangled system of delivery then you should not get it at the same time that the paper edition hits the retailers shelves. You should get it at the same time that slowmail subscribers expect to get it. That date is on the Saturday morning one week in advance of the date on the mag. If we slowmail subscribers get it late we winge on this website.
    Of course I am biased. If I was subscribing to an electronic version then I would expect it to be available even earlier; I would expect it when the paper copies go to the mail system which I suspect is late Thursday or early Friday. I would also be reasonable. Teething problems are to be expected for a new system. Politely point out the problems and give them a month to fix it. Late copies on the electronic system are simply not on.
    I used to work in the IT industry developing software. If I screwed up then I wasn't quite hanged drawn and quartered, that would have delayed the project even more, but I was certainly pressured to 'pull out all the stops' and quite right too.
    The problem is not with the software. It is with one or more people. Those who specified it, or those who designed it or those who wrote it, or any combination of those people..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired