1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Into hospital tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Mar 6, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I will miss Roger's insight and his style, not just of writing but in all things. He had strong opinions but that is vastly preferable to not having them.

I wonder if a book of his Final Analysis articles would be practical, and possibly a way to support Frances?

peterba and RogerMac like this.
  2. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Desperately sad news; RIP Roger.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. It puts life into perspective. RIP.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Saddened by this news, condolences to Frances and his family and friends.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Dreadful news. RIP Roger.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Very sad news, condolences to everybody concerned. He will be missed by many.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Hoping Frances has or can achieve French citizenship, that was one of Roger's concerns before he was diagnosed.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Very sad news indeed. I liked Roger, and found his contributions here and elsewhere to be both entertaining and informative and I enjoyed his spirited, forthright approach even as I was often glad not to be on its receiving end. I will miss him a great deal and do hope that Frances has the support she needs right now.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Very sad news. And my condolences to Frances and family.
    though I am a little older than he, we shared an interesting period in our early working life as photographers, though never met in real life.

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My immediate response to the news was inchoate swearing, so I'll spare you that, and tell a couple of tales of my interactions with Roger. He was responsible for my choice of viewfinder for my FrankenLeica outfit, though I can't remember whether that was via messages or spotted on a thread he started somewhere, but his suggestion was both useable and affordable

I've always been a fan of Werra cameras and I discovered he'd written a piece on his Werra 3 for Shutterbug. In it he mentioned he was missing the end cap for the lens hood so I contacted him and offered him one of my spares. Instead of accepting my offer he made one of his own - as he was unlikely to ever use it, would I like the camera concerned, in exchange for a donation to an appropriate charity? I forget which charity we agreed, but Roger's Werra 3 now lives on my bookcase. [​IMG]Werra family by gray1720, on Flickr Looks as though it's time to get it out again.

Finally, back in February, I wrote this about a recent Final Analysis piece that created a bit of a stir.

"Incidentally, Roger, I'd be happy for you to talk bollocks* about any of my photos, but I fear that that's all that is worth talking about them.

* I use the word loosely, and not in a derogatory sense, as someone reasonably fluent in bollocks myself.
    Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...19-nice-one-roger.138639/#MAXwpWAQvEfwF4Bp.99
    "

One person and one person only liked that post. It was Roger.

RIP, Roger, and God help Fox Talbot if he gets on your wrong side!

Adrian

Zou, saxacat, John Farrell and 2 others like this.
  11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

He is an institution that will be sorely missed.

Graeme

12. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I feared this might be the outcome when Roger told us of the diagnosis a few weeks ago. Very sad. I will be thinking of Frances.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Just awful. But at least he didn't struggle on with it for a long time with false hopes, as so many around me seem to have. RIP

Geren and Catriona like this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is very true. A friends uncle had pancreatic cancer and apparently it is bloody awful. He hung on for ages and was awful to see.
    My uncle died of throat cancer that had spread only last Wednesday. Luckily it took him quickly too.

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

My brother had 4 years of it, as did my best client. Best friend at work and tennis opponent was 1 year. Mother was 3 months. Sister in law and son's new wife currently having chemo. If I believed in deities, I'd have a very stern word with them.

16. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

This is very sad. On here, Roger was generous with his congeniality and just as generous with his bile. Sometimes I'd wince at his posts but quite often we'd have a spat, then the next minute he'd be liking some other post I had made. I never met him but I have a feeling he'd have been a sensitive and kind man in real life.

Yes, it was merciful that his illness was brief.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    saxacat, peterba and Zou like this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The trouble with pancreatic cancer is that by the time it shows any symptoms, it has spread too far to be dealt with, other than palliative care.

S

18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's brother has also been diagnosed with it in the last week or so and again the only option is palliative care

19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Sadly one of the few cancers that treatment hasn't kept pace with over the passage of time unlike, for example, blood related cancers. There are over 200 types of cancer and I suspect treatment of Pancreatic cancer hasn't moved on much since the early 70s.

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It isn't so much the treatment, it's more that by the time it shows up, it's too late to do anything about it.

S