1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Into hospital tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

As does everybody here I’m certain. He was frustratingly convinced every opinion he held was 100% correct and often argued the only reason you couldn’t agree with him must have been because you were either stupid or ill informed but I don’t think we would have wanted him any other way. Apart from that he was a great writer, teacher and photographer and I would have loved to have gone to Arles sometime and met him. Best wishes to you both.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It's not often that I'm stuck for words, but I am now. Thinking of both Frances and Roger.

Mark101 likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well said. I've always enjoyed exchanges with Roger - very often in agreeement, occasionally not - but always in good spirit.

4. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Dear God, Roger this is terrible.
    I have just read the Rangefinder forum post from Stevie Rose.
    To those of your friends I add my thoughts for you.
    I offer my Spiritual Thoughts for yourself and Frances.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of Roger and Frances. This is very sad news.

6. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Desperately sorry to hear the news Roger. Fingers firmly crossed.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The end of life is when you realise that some people have fuller lives than others
    Rogers life has been fuller and more interesting than most.
    It is indeed a very sad time for Francis and his family and friends, and I wish them every strength and joyful memories of happier times.
    Everyone who has known him is richer for the experience, and will be sad at his passing,
    but remember him with pleasure, for his wit and his generosity with his long accumulated knowledge.
    Roger I wish you a peaceful journey.... Terry

Mark101 and daft_biker like this.
  8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Christ, I've just caught back up with this thread. I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Desperately sad news.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Been a very bad few months six of my friends are either dead or at death's door and now I must add the other Roger to that dreadful list. I just hope that Frances is OK.

10. Brett Rogers

Brett Rogers New Member

Is Roger still with us, or has he now passed? I wish him the very best. We've corresponded for years. Hardly the most auspicious first post in this forum, apologies for that.
    Brett

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I was hoping for better news but the fact Roger hasn't been on here for a while didn't look good. I was sorta hoping it was because he was having treatment. I will really miss him, he stood up for me a few times and sent me some lovely messages after Dave died. Thinking of him and Frances.

Today not a good day I also heard another online friend of mine for over 20 years died this afternoon

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I also was hoping for better news but I see in this morning's AP that you have completed your last two articles for the magazine, and that with your blessing your column Final Analysis is to continue with a selection of guest writers. You will be a hard act to follow.
    The news of your illness is very sad and my thoughts are with you and Frances.
    I have no hard feelings over our political arguments and will remember you for our better, good natured, interactions about photography and food.
    John.

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, I said that I knew a lot of people in extremis in another post on this thread and Roger is the second today of whom I have heard the bad news.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed.

17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm very upset to hear this news. My thoughts are with Frances and all of Roger's family - both biological and adopted.

The first time I posted a picture for appraisal back in 2015, Roger gave his opinion and a few tips on how I could have improved the picture - at the time I couldn't believe that this was the Roger Hicks who wrote for AP and had produced such a body of literature on a variety of subjects. Since then, Roger featured some of my writing on his website and used one of my pictures for his Final Analysis page in AP - in both cases I felt honoured that he'd chosen to feature my work. You may recall that for the first year or so after joining the forum, whenever I responded to one of his posts, I'd begin with "Dear Mr Hicks..." - that was until I received a direct message from him, telling me in no uncertain terms that I was to call him Roger from that point onward!

I know that the photographic community as a whole has lost one of its leading figures - sometimes controversial, sometimes (on the forum at least) a little adversarial, but always thought-provoking. To me, Roger was a warm, extremely knowledgeable and humourous gentleman whose passing will leave a hole in my circle of acquaintances that cannot be easily filled.

He wore a monocle, for God's sake!

Anyway. The plan was to have a quiet evening in, but in the light of this sad news I'm going to revert to type and head down to the pub so that I can raise a glass to his memory.

Cheers, Jeff

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Desperately sad news.

19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I am so sad to hear this news. We will all miss him, in the magazine and on the forum. He was never less than interesting; provocative? Oh yes, but a really perceptive writer and photographer.

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This is so very sad. Roger's contribution to this forum was huge. Yes, he could be a little........ combative - but it was always with a clear argument in mind. I never had the impression that he was arguing just for the sake of arguing. We're the poorer for his passing.

Sincere condolences to Frances, and the family.

TimHeath likes this.