1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting places near Reading.

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Eru, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Eru

Eru Well-Known Member

Could anyone suggest some nice/interesting places to take some pictures close to the UK town of Reading?

Thanks!

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It's a long time since I've been that way but I used to live in Sonning which is about 4 miles from Reading. It's a picturesque village spanning the Thames. There's a lock - very photogenic - good walks along the tow path and half-timbered buildings in the village.

3. Per

Per Well-Known Member

My neck of the woods...

It depends how far is 'close' of course, but you have the Watership Down area and Silchester Roman Town south of Reading. If you go West you have Goring and Mapledurham house. North and there's Marahajah's well, Rotherfield Peppard church and Turville (as used by film companies for the Vicar of Dibbley and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). East and the Thames has some nice spots (Henley, Marlow, Sonning) as well as Bracknell Forest, Wellingtonia and the Wild Wood (of Wind in the Willows fame at Quarry Wood). Any more and I'd have to kill you...

4. weasley

weasley Well-Known Member

My neck of the woods too.

In no particular order except that in which I thought of them...

Pangbourne
    Basildon House
    Dinton Pastures
    The Ridgeway passes through Goring - take a walk either way for good views or follow the A417 north-west towards Wantage
    There are some good architectual opportunities in Reading itself - plus some modern architecture at Green Park near j11 of the M4 (including the Madejski Stadium and an enormous wind turbine)
    Wellington Park is to the south, as well as countless villages with greens and cricket pitches
    Christmas Common and its environs
    Stonor Park
    And don't forget to look up - red kites are abundant in the area now, particularly towards the east but they do overfly the urban areas too

5. Eru

Eru Well-Known Member

I can see I am going to be busy this half term, thanks everyone.

The Maharajas well is out of action at the moment though, seems they started restoration sometime last year and its still ongoing, with a large work cage around the well which does not help cameras.

As far as the kites go... those sneaky things hide whenever I take my camera with me! I was out running along the reading road to Wallingford a couple of weeks back and I saw about 5 of them over the corn fields.

Return the next day with a camera,nothing.

6. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

If it's Red Kites you are after head off around the Watlington area. Even in the centre of the town there are many of them about. People put meat scraps in their back gardens which the kites swoop down and feed on so there's usually a good population in the area.

I'm over in Wantage and one of my neighbour's gets a regular visit about lunch times most days, scooping up the animal remains left by the cats.

7. Eru

Eru Well-Known Member

I have seen lots of Red Kites now but the buggers are camera shy... or at least wait until I have reached at least 6 miles from my home on the usual Sunday morning run.

I'll have to try harder!

I've wrote all of the above down for inspiration, I'll be visiting one of them per week until I finally complete module 1 of the foundation.

8. Ray_Lane

Ray_Lane New Member

For Red Kites I agree Watlington is by far the best but they were re-introduced at Stokenchurch and there are many there.

For good sites you could consider Burnham Beeches, especially during the Autumn. There are many good locations along the River Thames too - also the Kennet & Avon which starts in Reading.