1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Local Architecture

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The rear elevation of the House of Fraser building which fronts onto Exeter's High Street...

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC02916.JPG

It used to be Colson's department store which had operated in the city from 1792. Although badly damaged during WWII the store continued to function. In 1953 a complete rebuild was begun which continued through 9 phases to create the current structure.

Dan S and RovingMike like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

In the North part of Ewell, you start to get into an area of older wood clad houses. This one had the old village lockup adjoining:

[​IMG]_7180476 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

The Watch House was built in 1770 to house, so it says, prisoners and the village fire engine.

[​IMG]_7180477 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Tafrarn y bont, Menai Bridge:

Tafarn.jpg

The cables for the bridge. If you look closely, you can see the original cables, the round ones, and in the background the new [1940] plate type cables. There used to be another set running down the middle, this was removed during the renovation. They changed the wooden decking at the same time. Good job, it's 30m to the rocks and water below. Oh and it does curve like that! cables.jpg

The red building is an old folks home. The white cottage was inhabited by a retired ship's captain in the 80's. Nice bloke, though I think he missed the sea.

straits.jpg

S

Dan S, RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  4. RovingMike

Ah, I have just completed my design, to keep the Menai Bridge from rust, by boiling it in wine.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. steveandthedogs

The Bulkeley, Beaumaris. Named after the still extant local landowners. They own the south-east corner of Anglesey. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

Bulkeley.jpg

The Little Chilli Shop, Beaumaris:

chilli.jpg

West End. No, not that one:

West-End.jpg

S

Catriona likes this.
  6. RovingMike

Near the church in Ewell there is a whole row of wooden houses. I believe they were for 18/19C mill workers. The mills on the Hogsmill River were of similar construction.

[​IMG]_7180483 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7180485 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Round the corner, the pub is similarly wood-paneled;

[​IMG]_7180487 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Wains Hotel, Dunedin, in the distance. The Stalinist building on the right is the former chief post office, now also a hotel

IMG_2580.JPG

Hotel car park.

IMG_2583.JPG

Queens Gardens

IMG_2587.JPG

8. RovingMike

Bourne Hall in Ewell is a 1970 design and looks it. All futuristic and shaped like a flying saucer. It replaced a decayed old mansion , who's grounds became Bourne Hall Park. Apologies for the sun being behind it. Too lazy to go shoot it again in the morning.

[​IMG]_7180478 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7180480 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

9. steveandthedogs

And in HĂȘn Llandegfan:

capel-II.jpg

Capel Barachia - presbyterian, still well used.

capel.jpg

and the back view.

Llys-Tegfan.jpg

Llys Tegfan [Tegfan Court] the village big house.

Hafan.jpg

My neighbour's house. Originally there were a pair of semi-detached houses where the flowers are, they were demolished over a century ago, this was originally either a stable or cow byre.
    The little area around this was known locally as Bryniau Duon, Black Hills. Why? Because there was a coal yard about 20m to the left... This is an example of Llandegfan humour.
    Most of the terraced houses in the village [alright, the two short terraces] were built in the 1880's or so. Before that, this house and about three others were all there was.

S

S

Catriona and RovingMike like this.
  10. RovingMike

Last offerings from Ewell.

Houses that are clearly Victorian, though nicely done up:

[​IMG]_7180499 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

And the Green Man in the centre. It has a bus stop named after it.

[​IMG]_7180502 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

On the old road from Menai Bridge to Beaumaris, Hen Felin [Old Mill] on the Cadnant:

hen-felin.jpg

This is from the new bridge, looking in the same direction, but from some way behind. The one above was taken from the bridge in this one:

old-bridge.jpg

S

Catriona likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

This one id from just around the corner, one from the Fuji, the other before it was rebuilt and using a Kodak No 2:

rebuild.jpg

house-web.jpg

S

RogerMac and Catriona like this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

One of the Georgian style terraces in Exeter's Southernhay East...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 13 P7290006.JPG

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  14. Andrew Flannigan

This row of dormer windows is a defining feature of the new office complex that has replaced the whole northern end of Southernhay West in Exeter...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P113 0947.JPG

15. Andrew Flannigan

A variety of styles have been incorporated into the terrace that makes up the Western wall of Exeter's Cathedral Yard. This is the Southern end; the Northern end is still being reconstructed following the fire that destroyed the Royal Clarence Hotel in 2016...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P113 0951.JPG

16. Andrew Flannigan

The City Bank building in Exeter's Cathedral Yard. Its last use as a bank was as part of the Halifax group but it is now used as a clothing shop...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P113 0954.JPG

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

This was like our own Angkor Wat nestled in the jungle. Not sure how long this has been abandoned for, certainly longer than 9 years when the bypass was opened in 2010. Have driven passed it many times but today I was out walking so thought I'd take a look. Got stung with stinging nettles, a cut on my head from some thorny thing and scared shitless by a couple of pigeons but I made it.

[​IMG]derelict by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]derelict2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]derelict3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]derelict1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Wow! What a shame but what a photo opportunity! Hope there were dock leaves around for those nettle stings. I know people who just rubbed the leaf on them, but I and my friends, pulled the leaf out gently and rubbed the sap on our stings. Love the pictures.
    PS
    Treat the thorny scratch/cut! They can be nasty if you don't watch it and keep it clean (the scratch!!!)
    PPS
    I'm still laughing about the pigeons. They can make such a racket and startle you mightily. Good job you were only armed with your camera. Haha!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    dream_police likes this.
  19. RovingMike

Great place. Never ceases to amaze me how quickly abandoned places fall apart.

dream_police likes this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, I cleaned it. I couldn't see a dock leave, so just grimaced and coped. Pigeons, they get me everytime!

The car had no number plate so I can't age it from that, although they made the car between 2000 and 2008.

Catriona likes this.