1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Local Architecture

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 8, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

At least they look like real houses!

The ones I posted above have the affordable 2 bed semis at £350,000 and the 4 bed detached at offers over £998,000. Absolutely incredible. There are only 8 detached and 4 semis on the development and are still being advertised. I guess not quite as popular or as affordable as they hoped.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

They are awful! They look like coverted containers.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not sure they are as substantial as that!

This is the floor plan of the 4 bedroom, 1 million pound one!

Screenshot 2019-07-20 at 19.03.07.png

The ones in my photo are the 4 bed ones. They should open up a shrinks office on site too, for those who have bought one!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

I'm glad some of our social housing has some style. Old photo so apologies for quality!

ap architecture flats.jpg

RovingMike and dream_police like this.
  5. Catriona

Gordon Bennett! Anyone would be mad to pay that for a box!

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Naah, they look better!

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think the design these days is dictated to a great extent by fact that until you get to the quite high levels, they are all assembled as pre-fabricated sections. The bathrooms and kitchens are all made by a company oop north and just dropped in. They refer to them as tin boxes and they come in a range of sizes.

Catriona likes this.
  8. RovingMike

So a quick rip through the nice little village of Ewell, much favoured by Henry VIII, who stayed there on hunting trips and of course built Nonsuch Palace nearby as a rival to the great French palaces. An estate agent has at least half of this Dutch barn-style place:

[​IMG]_7180468 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

I can only imagine from the ornate design that the Neapolitan Kitchen was once a pub:

[​IMG]_7180472 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7180498 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I had to look Ewell up. I'm enjoying seeing all these places. I've taken more pictures of Chester as a town this month than in the nearly 40 years we've lived here despite always having intended to make a record.

10. RovingMike

Ewell is blessed with a by-pass, which has kept a lot of the village in a reasonable state. Also blessed with the last station in Zone 6, before prices jump up and Oyster is unusable at Epsom.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

All together now........."Little boxes, little boxes, little boxes made of ticky-tacky
    Little boxes, little boxes, and they all look just the same................." Malvina Reynolds

Lynn

Catriona likes this.
  12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]The Market Square by SteveH, on Flickr

The old Staines Town Hall before squatters moved in and broke windows (which ended up boarded up) and developers covered it in scaffolding to turn it into 14 luxury flats, with parking for 8 vehicles.

The Town Hall (John Johnson, 1880), the War Memorial (1920) and the two phone boxes (type K6, designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott) are all Listed Grade II. As is the Blue Anchor pub (early to mid C18) just cut off on the left and the old Fire Engine Shed (circa 1880) round the right hand side of the Town Hall.

RovingMike likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ex-council houses on the Glasshouse Lane estate in Exeter. This particular design was popular all over the country at one time and I believe it dates from the late 1940s but you may know better...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310897.JPG

14. Andrew Flannigan

On Exeter Cathedral Green, Richard Hooker sits in contemplation of the buildings that form the north eastern wall of the close. To his left is the boarding that protects the on going rebuild of the Clarence Hotel (more or less wiped out by a fire in 2016). Above the boarding and to the left of Moll's Coffee House (the tall white building) you can just see the tower and main window of St Petrock's church...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310928.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    RovingMike likes this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There seems to be a bit of a Dutch influence in Exeter, not that two pics is statistically significant :rolleyes:.

Probably all them Viking raids. Or something... ;)

16. Andrew Flannigan

Off hand I can't think of any other such buildings though there a couple of much later buildings that have smatterings of the style. This one for instance that stands on the corner of North Street and High Street...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130883.JPG

The council houses seem to have been a national style; perhaps designed by the Ministry of Housing as part of the post war rebuild.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, well, I suppose (from a quick Google) that Topsham, just down the road from Exeter, has a lot more in the way of Dutch influence - lots of Dutch gables and so on.

And I think, wouldn't swear to it, that those council houses were based on Dutch Colonial?

18. Andrew Flannigan

Oh yes. Despite now being part of the unitary authority Topsham residents will tell you they are nothing to do with their big neighbour up river to the north. Be that as it may I'd describe the dominant style as "Devonian Confused" ;) ...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310911.JPG

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310912.JPG

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310919.JPG

SXH likes this.
  19. RovingMike

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is that how they pronounce that well known brown bread in your neck of the woods