1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Local Architecture

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think it could run and run! It's always nice to have a reason to go wandering.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I hope so! Best excuse to get out and wander and LOOK we've had for ages. :)

Reigate was mentioned in earlier thread, so I agreed with SWMBO to go down there and have a good look round on Saturday. There's even caves I knew nothing about. Are they architecture?

Catriona likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Can be. I once went to a conference held (must been with EU funding for Italy's poorer regions) in Matera. The Sassi are cave dwellings last occupied I think in 1954. It was just becoming redeveloped with the beginnings of formal tourism when I was there.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nor me. How about a bit of, I think, early 21st century architecture?

[​IMG]Staines Police Station 1 by SteveH, on Flickr

And just for Catriona, some interesting brick work down the side - the door to the custody suite!
    [​IMG]Staines Police Station - 2 by SteveH, on Flickr

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Near my place in Spain, there are cave houses that people still live in. There is also an area that has been taken over by artists etc and they have places in the caves together with a bar. Pretty good they are too and I imagine cool to live in the summer months.

6. RovingMike

Modest little place I have never glanced at before. Says in 1888 it was the parish infants school.

[​IMG]_7050195 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

Reigate yielded some interesting things yesterday. First up is the folly in the old castle (which is entirely gone) grounds. One of those things that became fashionable to have 200 years ago, so if you couldn't build a modern residence on your land and distress the old one a bit, you built a fake ruin:

[​IMG]_7130242 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'll see your folly and raise you a castle:

castle.jpg

Damn jerry builders.

and a Castle Garage:

Castle-Garage.jpg

Followed by the best pub in the area:

Bull.jpg

Lovely interior but tends to attract the local Royal Anglesey yachties.

And finally, the last view two men had of the church clock was via this door: Gaol-door.jpg

Beaumaris Gaol. If you look closely, you can see the hooks in the wall where they hung the trapdoor. The ret of the scaffold was bolted to the wall above. The last man cursed the clock, saying the four faces would never tell the same time.

S

9. RovingMike

Next up in Reigate, the Tunnel in Tunnel Rd. Entrances to the main mines complexes are inside, but the tunnel itself had a special role. It and a very straight road, were built to shorten the Prince Regent's journey between his mistresses in London and Brighton. By any other route, Brighton was further than the 50 miles he was allowed to travel from London.

[​IMG]_7130263 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  10. RovingMike

Castle Cottage is only building actually on the old Norman castle mound in Reigate these days. Listing entry says:
    Timber framed building probably of C17. 2 storeys, 2 bays. High pitched tiled roof has old projecting end chimney with offsets. Tile hung 1st floor, rendered ground floor. Small modern upper casements. Ground floor square oriels of circa 1900 under pent tiled roofs flank a central Dutch door under similar pent hood. Lean-to extensions at end and behind. Some exposed framing behind. Modern chimney added at opposite end from old one. Some C19 fancy glazed casements behind.

[​IMG]_7130241 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

Why couldn't he travel more than 50 miles?

I have to say my first reaction to this one was "For Christ's sake put your bloody phones away!"
    Next was to wonder what is above it.

S

Roger_Provins likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

Tin tabernacle in Llanfairfechan [archive]:

old-tin-tabernacle.jpg

These used to be common as whatever. Made in one of the religious revivals in the 19thC out of corrugated iron, they were bought as a kit either off the peg or custom made. I only know of one other, in Ganllwyd. Both still in use.

S

Dan S likes this.
  13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Is that from some tin pot religion?

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  14. steveandthedogs

Aren't they all?

S

Trannifan and dream_police like this.
  15. PeteRob

Again apologies for the watermarks but I've made this public on Flickr.

This basement shop is undergoing renovation

[​IMG]274A0247.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

We looked through the doorway and saw this.

[​IMG]274A0287.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

The builder was pleased to invite us in. A roman pillar, protected and built over some time in the past. Not unknown ( the local history wiki for Watergate street lists it) but according to the builder it was completely forgotten until they knocked the wall down. It is totally invisible from above.

Dan S, dream_police and Catriona like this.
  16. RovingMike

Well it was part of the tunnels guide's patter, so I only know what he said. But it is well-known that he used to slope off there for a bit: Brighton has been the definitive destination for a dirty weekend since Prince Regent partied here with his mistress in the late 1700s. The Prince (later to become the decadent King George IV) was largely responsible for making the city what it is today: the most interesting and alternative British seaside resort by far.

I believe the 50 mile restriction was the monarch's limit for social travel without a full entourage.

Yes, hard to take a shot anywhere these days without phone pollution.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. PeteRob

And I was always taken with this dental surgery - though the quotation, "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life", doesn't quite hit the mark and I always thought there could be something more apposite.

[​IMG]274A0262.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

RovingMike likes this.
  18. RovingMike

Catriona likes this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

If anybody is interested, the site of the C20 Society (a group whose ethos I am in two minds about) has a searchable database of 20th century churches. It's not complete, a few Staines churches are missing and it doesn't seem to cover synagogues, but may give pointers to some interesting (if not to everybody's taste) architecture in your area. Just bung a location in the relevant box and away you go!

20. RovingMike

Catriona likes this.