1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Local Architecture

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 8, 2019.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Two quick snaps of this building on the Nottingham canal. It's huge, and I need to go back with the full frame camera and the 16mm lens. This is the 16mm on the APSC, and it's not quite wide enough.

Corrected for angles, but otherwise just chucked here. Front and back.

20190707-7D2-6L3A4418_x800_hq.jpg

20190707-7D2-6L3A4428_x800_hq.jpg

It's now a mix of bars and restaurants I think.

dream_police and RovingMike like this.
  2. EightBitTony

Also, a local pub, it's been here longer than me it seems (couldn't be bothered to correct these). The pub is built in to the cliff. Worth a visit if you've never been.

20190707-7D2-6L3A4380_x800_hq.jpg
    20190707-7D2-6L3A4383_x800_hq.jpg

(Edit: The distortion on that bin is hilarious!)

dream_police and RovingMike like this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Our local Grade 2 listed station was a huge event when opened in 1900, marking extension of the Chipstead Valley Railway towards, eventually, Tattenham Corner the following year. The design, spanning the railway caused a lot of interest and the opening led to huge expansion of the village. The farmland between the two stations was used as a massive training base for troops leaving for the trenches during WW1. Most will have passed through this station.

After many years closed and semi-derelict (a more modern one is down below), it is now a bar restaurant. How or when the strange little Fadi's tailors was added I have no idea, or whether anyone has ever seen Fadi.

[​IMG]_7050209 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7050211 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7050213 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Cathedral:

cathedral.jpg

At the bottom of the incline:

mill.jpg

Brake house and Wall. And, no, that isn't distortion:

The-Wall.jpg

S

dream_police and EightBitTony like this.
  5. EightBitTony

I'd put £50 on the planning permission for that 'extension' not saying 'ugly little concrete monstrosity'.

RovingMike and dream_police like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The 12-seater:

12-seater.jpg

Not a particularly good shot, this is the 12 seater bog on Port Penrhyn. All facing each other, no cubicles...

S

Dan S, dream_police and Catriona like this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

A great pub. Had a couple of good nights in there. Hic

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

How very ancient Roman - well, in Dougga anyway! Do they have a channel at the foot with running water - and sponges on sticks? ;) What a fascinating building.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. dream_police

I was in Thailand once and stopped at a motorway service station. Went to the toilets and saw that the loos had no paper but a sponge on a stick. I was so happy that all I needed was a wee.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I guess I can't leave out the old Blackhouses as our original eco homes. They were much better than the 'whitehouses' which succeeded them. Thin walled and no good against the elements.
    ap architecture blackhouse.jpg

However, when the tweed mills starting producing the famous Harris tweed, some very good housing was built for the workers, and for their loom sheds if they were weavers. These sheds are still everywhere on the Islands and still used. These houses are well regarded although the Mill has long gone, unfortunately.
    ap architecture newton pathway.jpg

Nearby across the entrance to the harbour, our drug baron built his castle. Actually no more than a Victorian pile, but it is now posh apartments run by a conglomerate and the site of the new Museum. It's all rather disappointing, with few features to redeem it. Fortunately the Trust still has control of the grounds and they are well used by the local population for walks. If you are rich, you can pay for a permit to fish the salmon river within the grounds too.
    ap architecture castle.jpg

And lastly, our Arts Centre. At one time this was sited in the old Town Hall building and I must say I preferred it there. Then this new building was built, which is mainly a centre for Gaelic entertainment and, since it is run by the same guy who has run it for the last 30+ years, the same mostly boring art and music. The occasional (very) show is performed or art invited to be hung, but in the main it's not a place I go to all that often.
    ap architecture arts centre.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry about the watermarks - I made these public on Flickr rather than private as usual for posting here. Saturday was a really bad day to go taking local architecture pictures. Chester is a pain to photograph if there is any sunshine because of the contrast but a grey overcast day just looks miserable and the shoppers were out in force. I think 5:30 am is probably a better time to go.

Some OTT frontage!

[​IMG]274A0203.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

upper Bridge Street showing the steps up to the Grosvner shopping centre but illustrating the "rows" that Chester is famous for - the street level shops are double-decker with the second level set back and a walkway passing along at first floor level.

[​IMG]274A0227.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Something a bit older beside something a lot newer, the latter reusing sand-stone pillars that could be any age.

[​IMG]274A0207.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Something newer that has surviving redevelopment and has been reinvented as a combined library/theatre/cinema. The building was originally an Odeon.

[​IMG]274A0238.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

and a surviving frontage of the Westminster Coach and Motor Car Works, that did host the library and is now an exhibition space

[​IMG]274A0237.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Must do this again with some better light, no people, a tripod and a light meter. I haven't used my shift lens in ages and hand held with manual focussing and guessed exposure rather showed up my lack of practice. There are a few more in the Chester album.

12. RovingMike

All work well for me. Cloudy but fairly bright can be ideal for architecture, where you don't want high contrasts and colours bleaching out. People add scale and context.

13. RovingMike

I am actually owner of an architectural feature that has been described as "interesting", though thankfully not enough to get us listed as I think all previous I posted were. This porch pillar was pointed out by the estate agent as an architectural innovation, but I took that as sales-speak at the time. Later we found that the architect did indeed bring students to see it for some time after. Can't think why, but there it is:

[​IMG]_7050220 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7050218 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

dream_police and SXH like this.
  14. EightBitTony

Well, you wouldn't want to turn your back on the other 'participants', what kind of rude uncouth message would that send!

RovingMike and steveandthedogs like this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread, it will give an opportunity for those disappointed by the hoo-hah in the theme thread to display their interesting pics.

Anyway, an old one of mine...
    SMH.jpg~original.jpg
    Originally a wine storage place, it was bought by the Masons in 1927 (I think) and converted.

What makes it doubly interesting is that while checking the history section of their web site for the preceding info, I discovered that they had lifted my pic (from the Pentax User site, I assume) to illustrate the page and they didn't even bother to clear the EXIF data! I may need to contact them about that...

16. dream_police

Well, I went out today into the village. All photos are from with 2 - 3 miles of my house.

These first ones are of buildings that have new uses. At one point they were all something else, some of them I remember being their previous use.

This was until a year or 2 ago still a bank. Now a clothes shop.

[​IMG]Old Bank by Nigel G, on Flickr

This used to be the Post Office sorting office, which I remember (and I dare say it was at one time the actual Post Office but I don't remember that). The title on the brick I find a bit irritating. It reads "Alderley Edge Office Post" to me.

[​IMG]Alderley Edge Post Office by Nigel G, on Flickr

When I moved to the village in 1995 this was on my lane. At that time it was a library, which closed around 10 years ago. I do not know when it stopped being the local nick.

[​IMG]Police Station by Nigel G, on Flickr

RovingMike, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  17. dream_police

This was a chemist and when it was open it was like stepping back in time. This closed around 5 years ago. I have today noticed it is a cafe (like we need another in the village!) They have the neon prescription sign in the window still.

[​IMG]Lillies by Nigel G, on Flickr

Virtually next door to lilies is Gusto. This used to be the showroom for Volvo cars when we first moved here. It is still evident inside the restaurant that it was industrial in a previous life

[​IMG]Gusto's by Nigel G, on Flickr

This is a lovely place. Was a Sunday School, but well before my time.

[​IMG]Sunday School by Nigel G, on Flickr

And very local to me. This was the barn that belonged to my current house. I think that was converted about 15 years ago.

[​IMG]The Barn by Nigel G, on Flickr

18. dream_police

No village shot would be complete without the church. Even though I am far from a believer and I was against it, but both of my girls were Christened here.

[​IMG]St Phillips by Nigel G, on Flickr

And moving on from there, here is our cemetery. It was at one time run by the council and this building was occupied by the groundsman and his family. Now it’s run by a private company, this is unoccupied and looking a bit worse for wear.
    This is home to my dad and my daughter. My wife and I also own plots here so no doubt it will eventually be our resting place too.

[​IMG]Alderley Edge Cemetery by Nigel G, on Flickr

19. dream_police

This is quite an old pub. I think it is a similar age to my house, built sometime in the 1700’s. The Wizard Inn.

[​IMG]Wizard Inn by Nigel G, on Flickr

The area has a lot to do with Wizards. This is a beautiful house, a B&B now. The Wizards Thatch.

[​IMG]Wizards Thatch by Nigel G, on Flickr

And talking of thatched cottages, this is also a lovely place, almost next door to the old Sunday school.

[​IMG]Holly Trees by Nigel G, on Flickr

20. dream_police

EightBitTony, Gezza and Catriona like this.