1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Comparison

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, Apr 8, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think many M43 users like to get reassurance that they are not being outclassed by the bigger guns out there, especially as Canikon are now going full frame mirrorless.

Well, I had the chance to compare with a friend's Nikon Z6 24MP full frame last week and I have to say my Pen F gave quite a good account of itself, especially when colour sat was pumped up a little to match the Nikon's auto setting, which seemed to have gone off rather more "vivid" than I keep mine set on.

So here's Z6 with 24-70f4:

[​IMG]Simon's greenhouse by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

And here's Pen F with 12mm f2:

[​IMG]P3281242 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's going to be Leica V Rollei or Linhoff V Super Ikonta all over again, isn't it? I've dumped my full frame kit in favour of M43 and I now walk upright again. My E-PL5 with the 9-18mm is a whole lot of camera for not much money...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P2280005.JPG

It's even better value with the kit 14-45mm...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 9070041.JPG

3. RovingMike

Yes my Pen-F is half the price of his Z6 and a third of the Z7. Nikon equivalent of my 12-40 f2.8 is £2000 and weighs about twice as much. But the pancake 14-45 and R version are both excellent lenses. I have run comparisons with the 12-40 PRO and couldn't find a difference.

4. RovingMike

I'm going to do same next weekend with the E-M1 Mk2 and with a more exact comparison.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As long as I keep the ISO down on my Pannys I've no complaints but beyond 1600 things are maybe not so nice... That said all are rather old models so noise performance probably not as good as the recent kit.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

At web resolution on a 30 inch screen I see no difference. Perhaps that is your point.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Unless somebody wants very large prints, I can't see any reason for 'upgrading' from MFT or APS-C to these full-frame cameras, especially when weight and cost are compared.
    Your friend is probably the kind of person who keeps the secondhand market so active, and such people should always be encouraged. If he/she traded in something then it will now be available to a less wealthy photographer.

RovingMike and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  8. RovingMike

Oh yes, I think you picked him there. But good for all of us that there are the big spenders to keep the market and R&D going. If it relied on me, we'd all still be using OM1s.
    And at 300ppi on a 25" screen virtually none, other than physical size, either. I did a second, more precise test against the Z7 last weekend, with same result. My E-M1 mk2 came out very well.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps we are just in another camera fashion cycle of 'serious' digital cameras.

First it was APS-C and four-thirds DSLRs, then full frame DSLRs, then micro-four thirds mirrorless, then APS-C mirrorless, then the current full-frame mirrorless cycle (I may have got the sequence wrong, because there is obviously some overlap of cycles).

Perhaps the market is approaching saturation (or is already there), so manufacturers have to continually bring out something different from the previous cycle and hope that enough fashion victims will jump on the latest bandwagon. The secondhand market depends on people like this with deep pockets, so they should always be encouraged, although I always suspect the fashion element of some purchases outweighs the photographic element. I suppose it's the old weakness of assuming a new bit of kit will help you take better pictures, and the more expensive that kit the greater the improvement is going to be. When this fails to happen, blame the kit and buy something else.