1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in taking up photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ricketh, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ricketh

ricketh Member

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forums, so before I get started, I'll say Hi :)...

I've been interested in photography for a few months now, I just love the way people capture different feelings and emotions in the pictures.

So I want to get myself my first decent camera, I mean I've had digital cameras before but nothing very good.

I've been looking around and reading reviews and I've found a camera that's within my price range and seems to be fairly good:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electron...earchtype=genre
    That's the camera, and here's a review on it:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072802fuji_s5200zs5600z.asp

Thanks for replies in advance :)

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

It's a nice little camera and great value for money. As long as you don't find a fixed lens limiting then it should fit the bill perfectly.

BigWill

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

That's what I naerly bought in Argos last week at £112-49. It's on offer again this week but all stores around me have nill stock :-(

Never mind, I paid a bit extra and got a Canon Powershot S3is :))

For what it offers, it will be a great first camera for you, I am sure

4. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Good plan :cool:

5. ricketh

ricketh Member

Hey, I've never owned a camera with any lens that you can adjust manually like that, and just for my first camera I thought this would be a good buy, so you agree?

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

At £112-49 it is an astounding buy. At £140 to £150 it is still a good bargain. If you know the basics of photography and want a camera over which you can have manual control, I am sure that you will not be disappointed. Just remember to set the thing to maximum resolution as soon as you can - you may get less pics on a memory card this way, but the quality could quite astound you

7. BigWill

Yep! :cool:

BigWill

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

That's not a review on DP Review, that's simply Fuji's press release and any marketing document will talk up the features and benefits. Even Play.com has taken this at face value and talked it up. For example, they say "this camera has the crucial 1600 ISO setting, meaning that all forms of blur are much less likely to occur." Let's look at an ISO 400 and ISO 1600 comparison courtesy of Digicam Review

ISO 400
    [​IMG]

ISO 1600
    [​IMG]

Now, with the size of sensor that this camera has (and all similar cameras for that matter), don't expect anything beyond ISO 400 to be usable. Other Fuji models similar to this show things like chromatic aberration and other anomalies.

So, bottom line, at this price this camera is excellent value for money but it has its limitations - you get what you pay for after all. If you accept that and work within those limitations, I'm sure that you will be very pleased with it.

9. BigWill

Can't see your piccies there Daivid! :( Maybe a link would work better?

BigWill

10. ricketh

ricketh Member

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna try and get this camera before christmas, but if not it will be soon after, I get paid on the 19th, but withi t being close to xmas i doubt it will get here for then.. does anybody know where the cheapest place to get this camera is in england?

11. BigWill

Try Jesspos. Their window price won't be the lowest but you can usually persuade them to "pricematch" if you can prove it's available cheaper elsewhere. In fact, it worth trying that with ANY retailer as they should be keen to get your business and if they aren't.................well then it's their loss!

BigWill