1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insect ID...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Jul 15, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Anyone identify this?
    1010610ces.jpg
    The body shape suggests an ant, but the antennae are not jointed/'elbowed' as one would expect. And that pointy thing at the back - sting or ovipositor or what?

Quality is a bit naff 'cause I was using my pocket camera and the little beasty was all of half a centimeter long!

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Looks like some type of wasp to me.

SXH likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks. That's put me on the right track - further Googling would suggest it is a (female) black slip wasp.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Looks like we had one in the garden today.

[​IMG]black slip wasp2 by Martin Bone, on Flickr

It would make sense when you see the amount of Large White butterflies there are at the moment.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Pseudeuophrys lanigera (female) by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

Yeah, I know - it's not an insect, it's an arachnid. And I'm fairly sure of the identification (it being about 5mm long, definitely female!). And boy, can it jump! At least ten times its own length before I could get a second picture. Then legged it along the window at a rate of knots. :eek:

Really, I'm just checking I've got my Flickr account set up properly... :oops:

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Some sort of ichneumon wasps and the spider is also known as a house jumping spider. Good luck finding a male!;);)

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Another one for the entomologists who hang around here...
    [​IMG]Some sort of mosquito? by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

The nearest ID I can come up with is a northern house mosquito. Any better ideas? Only about 1.5cm long - including the crazy collection of antennae and such!

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think so - Culex Pipiens - according to on-line sources.

SXH likes this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Mind you, judging by the number of diseases it seems to be capable of spreading, it's a bit worrying.
    Oh well, the cold outside air it hit when I wafted it out the window will probably do for it. ;)

ETA: as per usual, a bit more digging suggests it may be Culex quinquefasciatus, Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus as was.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  10. PeteRob

The source I read said it (the male) prefers bird blood to human blood. I forgot what I read but not sure we get the Southern in the UK.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Oops! I got distracted by its feathery appendages. Most of the images of the northern one that came up via Google were distinctly unfeathery. Re-searching seems to suggest it IS the northern one and Google is sh!te. Just MHO, of course. ;)

Mind you, what with global warming and lots of international transport methods, it's probably just a matter of time...

12. PeteRob

SXH likes this.