1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infrared Conversion

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Clive, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I recently bought a used D70 on ebay, and have had it converted to IR (830nm). Anyway, it came back today and this is the first shot taken (spitting with rain, though a sun appearing on the right side, but took it under cover of the porch)
    ISO 200 Nikon 12-24 at f/14 1/60 second at f/10 NEF. Hardly the best light to take an IR shot, but enough to show me its capabilities. Just needed to put a curve/levels on what came out straight from the camera.

But I've seen enough to be able to fund it all with my huge stack of frozen Kodak HIE (don't have a darkroom anymore)

[​IMG]

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I want one of them :(

How much did the IR conversion cost? (if you don't mind me asking, not that I can afford it!)

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

£219 from Protech Photographic who are in Sussex (no charge for postage, and it had a full service with 12 month guarantee)

Found them extremely helpful with great communications. I shall next try it with the full frame 14-24/2.8 in 'proper' IR light - tomorrow looks a good forecast. The D70 cost me approx £150 from ebay.

They are here.

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Many thanks... on to my xmas list :)

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

been snowing your way....? :D
    that's brilliant...my socks are well and truly blown away

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must admit I'm considering having another camera converted with a 720nm conversion to go with my 30D's 830nm one (I think mine was the first Protech did) - just not sure which to go with, the 40D with Live View, or 5D for superior quality.

What I have found with the 830 is that exposure can be extremely tricky, and it's difficult to get a decent shape to the histogram - actually, conditions such as you have shot in are by far the easiest to control, Clive. I often end up with extreme underexposure, which leads to horrendous banding in monotone areas - I've learned to bracket a lot, and to meter much more carefully than I've been used to. I've also found with my camera that Canon's DPP gives by far the best results on RAW conversions - you might need to experiment a bit with your PP techniques when you get full sunlight. But it's a real delight to be working with a native 830nm camera, terrific fun.

7. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Well, this afternoon there was a break in the weather for about 10 minutes where some of the sky was blue. I used the converted D700 with the full frame Nikon 14-24/2.8 at ISO 200 and with the lens at 24mm (D70 = 36mm). The full frame image is shown here:

[​IMG]

And at 100%:

[​IMG]

There is a very slight colour cast, desaturated in PS RAW converter, them just levels and curves were applied until I thought I had it about right, then in 8-bit a very slight diffuse glow and film grain were added in PS.

I'm pretty chuffed with the whole thing :)

Just seen your post Nick, and mine was also very underexposed (which I can easily play around with in the taking). When I corrected it, there was slight banding in the sky (not noticeable except at 100%) and in levels I clicked on the left hand sampler and on the area of lighter banding (to make it full black) and hey presto. But I'm looking forward to experimenting on what should be a clear sun dat tomorrow.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

and chuffed you should be... :D

9. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thanks David - and the weird tree is next door's eucalyptus.

10. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Took 48 shots at Croxden Abbey (3 miles away)this morning and tried a 0.67 over-exposure which seemed to do the trick, without any banding in the sky. Here's one (14-24/2.8 FX)

Click to view - 700px

Mods Note: Sorry Clive, the image is over the 600px limit so had to change it to a link

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Did you have to start this thread! You're piling on too much temptation! :D

12. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Well, as Fen said, Christmas is coming ;)

Here's another one, taken the day after I had it:

[​IMG]

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

What a strange website.

Plenty of good IR photo examples, but no hint as to how much their DSLR conversions cost, or am I missing the obvious? Something worth doing to my Eos 30D perhaps?

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Prices are on the "Infrared" tab. They did my 30D without any issue, but they seem to be charging more for Canon now.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Solved! and thanks

I was so dazzled by the example images, that I completely missed the LH banner listing prices!

16. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Like you, Nick, I'm a bit intrigued by some of the other conversions, but I don't have a DSLR to do it with. But if I do ever venture forth - it will be a D70/S again with, perhaps the 665nm.

There's some gorgeous stuff by 'the boss' and using an EOS 10D with the 665.

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Sorry Clive, I'm confused. Is it a D700 or a D70 that you've had converter? You seem to mention both in this thread? :D

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Sorry Barney - D70. Protech told me the D70 and D70S are 'brilliant to convert'.

I've been looking at the 720nm conversion images (the one that Nick is thinking of) and they have a gorgeous ethereal quality.

PS: If you (or Nick) could change my original posting to D70 I'd be very grateful!

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Yes, I toyed having my D70s converted but decided that I really wouldn't use it as much as I should to justify the cost so I sold it.