1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra red filter

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by John_K, Sep 15, 2010.

1. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

I have just uncovered my Cokin IR (opaque red) filter. Can anyone remind me how many stops should I allow when using this. I seem to remember something like 8 or 10. It will be on Ilford SFX Film nominally rated at 200ISO.

2. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hi John, is that the Ilford dedicated SFX filter? If so, I got very good results with +4 stops. Mind, I suppose it depends how you dev the film. I used D76 for 10.5 mins 1+1. Good luck.

3. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

I bought the film at the same time as the filter as a special offer and they came bundled together. The filter mount is embossed Cokin but the filter itself is a gelatine sheet.

I used it a while back and have forgotten how many 'stops' to allow. I seem to remember 6 or 8 but I may be mistaken. I also remember developing it 1-1 in ID11 for the time recommended by Ilford. That worked out fine for me.

4. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Yep, you're using the SFX filter. Mine also came bundled with a roll of SFX. The SFX tech sheet gives a filter factor of 16(4 stops). I got my dev. times wrong. I actually used Ilford's recommended time for D76 of 14.5 mins 1+1.

5. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Filter factor of 16? Well in old money that should be 8 stops! An ordinary yellow filter with a factor rating of 2 was one stop. An orange with a factor of 4 was 2 stops. A red (normal not IR) was 6 = three stops so 16 should be 8 stops. Or is there something I have not taken into account?

6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hiya John. Filter factors double up for every 1 stop increase.
    Filter factor 2 = 1 stop
    4 = 2 stops
    8 = 3 stops
    16 = 4 stops

7. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Thanks for that I thought there must be something. I will bracket anyway.

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member