1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In praise of the AE-1

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Grierson, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

In another thread on this board Andy Westlake comments on the shortage of space in the magazine and yet two columns are given to Jon Bently to say absolutely nothing. He tells us his mother bought an AE-1 back in the seventies and the resulting photographs were poor and this has 'fuelled his prejudices' for the next 40 years. Can I suggest that his prejudices are easily fuelled. FWIW I've owned and used AE-1 for 40 years and it still produces excellent results.

He suggests that the camera should have been returned to the dealer but it wasn't. So the point of the piece is ..... ?

Many words filled those two columns with very little substance.

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Perhaps he was on a bet?

In my very first proper job, at a local paper that shall remain nameless to protect the guilty, one of the writers made a bet with the editor that he could slip a totally ridiculous story past the subs.

Our editor confidently covered the £10 (this was in 1969, so half a week's pay) and ordered the subs to be totally vigilant with every piece the writer handed over. They were, yet the Friday edition carried a piece on page 5 about a flash flood carrying away a house from the top of a local hill - this alleged event occurring during the sunniest June for 40 years.

The ensuing investigation, or to use the technical term: witch hunt, uncovered the trick. The reporter had written the piece and given it to a mate on one of our sister papers. This shared the same schedule, used the same typefaces and was printed on the same press as our own. The mate got the naughty story set while the trickster wrote a perfectly sensible and entirely true story to exactly the same length. Come press time, the conspirators got one of the typesetters to slip out the legitimate story and slide in the nonsense, just before the form went into the matrix. At that point, the drum was cast and went on the press, with everyone convinced the wager was in the editor's pocket, only to find out that they were well wrong.

That taught me one important lesson: never, ever, bet against the supposedly impossible. The person on the other side of the wager always knows something you don't.

:D

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

I've not seen the post by Andy referred to but I would hazard a guess that he's referring to the five or six page slot that is usually allocated to a 'full' camera test and the limitations that this imposes versus the infinite space that the web provides. As for the 'Viewpoint' column.... this is allocated approximately 2/3rds of a page and as the title suggests is the viewpoint of the author and, I presume, is intended to promote consideration/discussion.

Regards
    m