1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in built Freeview work through virgins cable?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjbell, Nov 9, 2011.

1. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

This might be a stupid question but i'm after a new panasonic tv. They have built in freeview. I'm in rented house and i'm not sure it has an aerial. I do have cable. Could i use this signal and connect the cable into the tv will the freeview work?

2. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

No. Freeview is only available through an aerial. Cable is only for cable TV - Virgin.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Why not give your cable a try? Get your TV to do a channel search and see what you find. Bear in mind that a fee may be payable to Virgin.

or

Does your Freeview come from the Wenvoe transmitter? It's not that far and if your house is well positioned, you might get away with an indoor aerial.

4. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

Not sure I fully understand the question, but...

The cable will have to go through a cable receiver box - you can't plug it straight into the telly. If you have cable, then you already have freeview, so you won't need to use the freeview reciever on the telly.

If you want to just use the freeview on the telly, you'll need an aerial - or a cable box that supplies the aerial signal. We don't have an aerial (it fell down in a gale), but our old NTL cable box used to supply the aerial signal via an RF out socket on the back. Unfortunately, our new Virgin Media box doesn't have such a socket, so you'd have to ask your cable provider.

Incidentally, we don't pay for a TV package, but as we use Virgin internet and phone, they let us have the box for the telly for free, so we can get freeview through that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Sorry i wasn't very clear. The new telly will be high def but i do not want to fork out for a high def virgin box. If i plugged the cable box into the tv into its aerial connection will i get hi def. The hi def signal must be going into the virgin box is this information or signal lost coming out of the box?

6. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

Ah - well, I think it's down to whether the cable box transmits the RF signal that contains the freeview channels.

As I say, our old one used to, but our new one doesn't. You can run an aeriel through it (if you've got one) but it doesn't transmit the RF signal via the cable, as it were.

7. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I haven't got the new tv yet. But if i connect the cable box to the tv via the rf cable only and i'm able to watch channels this will have the hi def signal? I'm totally out of touch with tv's. Another option is there is a satellite in the wall can i use this with tv's with freesat tuners?

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My understanding is:
    To watch HD on freeview you need HDTV...which you have.
    You need either an aerial or Freesat- Freesat being the better option
    Cable box is for cable...if you're not connected then it shouldn't work and it's not connected to an aerial either....I say shouldn't because occasionally previous subscribers cancel but the company forgets to turn it off.
    I may be wrong but that's my understanding
    Of course you could always line the pockets of the Murdoch family....
    Freesat is slightly different to Freeview - has HD channels

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m late to this discussion but here goes..................

I have a new LG TV with Freeview HD built in.

I also have(for several years)a Virgin V+HD box with the XL package which gives me all the channels I would ever need.

Where I live is in direct sight of the Kilvey Hill transmitter so the freeview signal is strong.My LCD bedroom TV receives Freeview via a set top loop aerial so strong is the signal:should I wish I could do the same with the LG downstairs but there`s no advantage to doing that since the Virgin setup is more than adequate.

If you attempt to connect your Virgin box to the aerial socket on your TV you`ll get zilch.As has been said,you cannot receive Freeview without a signal from an aerial.As Malcolm says see how good a signal you get from Wenvoe and then decide.

HTH:D

10. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I have cable tv its free with the broadband and phone line but it just standard def. I do not want to pay extra for a hi def virgin cable box because i do not have any channels anyway just the freeview ones. There is not house Aeriel but there is a sky dish. I'm not going to the expense of putting up an aerial up.

11. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I live close to both htv and bbc transmitters both in clear view from my house with just fields between us so maybe i can use a indoor aerial.

12. swanseadave

If that`s the case then I`m sure you`ll get a strong Freeview signal too.

Give it a try.Loop aerials are not expensive.

One unfortunate thing re Virgin`s HD channels is that to get all the HD channels offered you have to have the XL package.

The L amd M packages with fewer channels have very few HD channels.

13. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I offer several generalised points that may be helpful to the OP and others.

The whole situation with regard to Freeview is (with few geographical exceptions) currently fluid to say the least. The UK switchover process is due to complete in March / April next year (2012). Until the process has been signed off (transmitter by transmitter), reception via suitable DTTV aerials will be variable without notice as the power output from the various multiplexes may be ramped up and down to allow safe completion of the switchover process, to allow safe working on the transmitters and to minimise interference between transmitted signals.

During the latter stages of the switchover process various FreeviewHD channels will be 'added' into the mix from each transmitter.

To receive Freeview you will need a Freeview capable receiver - either built into your TV or built into a set-top-box (to use the old name!). To receive FreeviewHD you will need a FreeviewHD capable receiver - either built into your TV or built into a set-top-box PLUS an HD capable display.

To receive cable TV you will need, naturally, a cable TV box. The various cable TV providers offer a different mix of functionality built into different boxes. Some providers state that they offer Freeview, however they are usually offering free access to the free-to-air channels found within the Freeview service.

For those confused by the technical interconnection of these boxes, there is a good guide here - aimed at V+ box users but generally applicable to other providers.

To be more precise, Freeview™ is the trading name of a consortium more properly called DTV Services. It is the collection of free-to-air services on the UK Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV) platform, jointly run by its five equal shareholders, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky and transmitter operator Arqiva. It's website is here.

FreeSat is a service that uses the same dish and satellites as Sky, so you can usually buy a FreeSat receiver, plug it in in place of an old Sky receiver and receive over 150 TV and radio subscription-free channels. Their website is here. FreeSat offers HD channels, for which you need a FreeSatHD receiver and an HD capable display.

HTH

14. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Thank you for the help so far. My new idea is to purchase a virgin HD box on ebay then which over the cards from my standard def box would i receive it then? Or would i need a different card or package from Virgin? I'm happy with the price i'm paying them at the moment. If i phoned for a box they would get me to sign up for another 12months and bump my price up.

15. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

As you have a sky satelliete diish, you can also considerthe Freesat route. Eithe buy an HD TV with built in freesat decoder, and plug the feed from the dish into the TV, or buy an HD TV and a freesat decoder box - these are available with and without PVRs (hard disk recorders), for example the Humax Foxsat PVR.

Some of these decocders require 2 feeds from the dish for full functionality. If your dish only has one feed (single LNB), you can buy multi LNB's from the likes of Maplin, enabling two feeds to the decoder (or indeed feeds to more than one TV).

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

There are only a couple of TVs fitted with Freesat, Panasonic make one and somebody else, might be Samsung. However they are expensive, from memory the 37" Panny is about £1000 Last week I went the TV + Humax + existing Sky dish route.........superb.

Yes Steve is right re the twofeeds, but only if you want to record and watch at the same time.

17. swanseadave

I`d be wary of buying a Virgin HD box from ebay.Unlike Sky,virgin boxes remain the property of Virgin:you are effectively renting the box.Any which are advertised for sale cannot be kocher.