1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import duties are not all bad.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:39 PM.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The duties collected go to government and if not taken for granted can effectively ever so slightly reduce our taxes.

Now for an example. Lets take tomatoes.:):):) Yes I know three smilies from me is a bit over the top and the example of tomatoes might seem frivolous. Consider tomatoes just an example.
    We are swamped with EU tomatoes, mostly from Holland and Spain. Typically one can buy EU tomatoes at 69p for a plastic box containing six pale aneamic almost odourless and tasteless tomatoes. Sometimes they are the only tomatoes available in our local Coop and I foolishly buy a box. Cheap but not cheerful and I then curse my previous day's purchase at breakfast. Half a tin of Heinz baked beans with my bacon and egg would have been better. Tomatoes should be red and smell of tomatoes and taste of tomatoes.
    For most of the year I get British tomatoes during my weekly shop in Morrissons. Even in Winter. A good variety, ripe when the vine is cut. Not 69p I'll grant you . Typically £1.50 to £2.00 depending on season. They are grown by various growers in mainly Kent or Worstershire. Clearly our English growers cannot compete on price so they compete on quality. To much duty on EU tomatoes would have the risk of tempting our own growers to cut quality and compete on price. A bit of duty might level the tomatoe fields (greenhouses?) and help our own growers of tomatoes.

Why do we buy Danish butter? Our own is just as good and is actually less expensive. Compare Lurpak with Morrison's own brand British. (British 50p less expensive) Perhaps a 50p duty on a small block of EU butter might make some people think why they have being overpaying for an inferior or at best, equal product, for the 30 years after the end of a brilliant sales campaigne.

Sensible duties on EU products may well help our own producers. It may make some products more expensive but would help us be more self sufficient. And if the duties raised were used to raise the income tax thresholds slightly would not harm the lowest paid of our own population.

We will never compete on wine. Even here there might be benefit. I might drink less. This post has been aided by a bottle of Chardonnay for grown ups, from Burgundy of course.
    Cheers.

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

So, despite being a patriot, you don't support the winemakers of your British Commonwealth brothers, but spend your money in the EU?

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Buying tomatoes from a reputable greengrocer (rather than a supermarket) should provide you with tomatoes that actually taste as they should - regardless of their country of origin. In my experience, low-price fruit and veg from supermarkets, and 'proper' taste from such items, are essentially incompatible expectations.

Alternatively, of course, you could simply grow them.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

A closet Remainer, perhaps? ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Drivel, as is usual from a brexiter. "We" don't buy Danish butter. It's nor very good. You can't even find it easily on many EU countries. But it's either the very cheapest, to appeal to one variety of brexiter, or the most heavily advertised, to appeal to another (and even stupider) variety.

Tomatoes? Good luck with those, year 'round, at an affordable price. Mine come from Brittany or Morocco; the latter not in the EU, which completely destroys the arguments about the Wicked EU.

You'd NEED a bottle of Burgundy to write nonsense like this. Tonight's dinner (magret de canard/ duck breast and Brussels sprouts) was helped on its way with a bottle of Cava at about £4.

Cheers,

R.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Don't worry; the tomatoes will be left rotting on a truck outside the UK soon enough.

peterba, Trannifan, Mark101 and 2 others like this.
  7. Learning

I usually buy my grapefruit juice for adults (Sauvignon Blanc) from New Zealand. I will buy Chardonnay from the new world if and when they grow and process it the way I like it. A local vinyard up the road has just released its first Chardonnay fizz, sadly at a price beyond what I am prepared to pay. I am not joking; a Notts vinyard is producing Chardonnay fizz and the reports I hear are very encouraging.

Supermarkets respond to the market in which they operate. Our best local supermarket covers a variety of prices and qualities.

As to growing tomatoes (which were just a fairly trivial example), they require too much attention. I fill my greenhouse with chillis every summer. They thrive on neglect. I have a large surplus and give most away.

My op was of course somewhat tongue in cheek, but there is more than a grain of truth within it..

8. Learning

We get some Moroccan tomatoes as well. Some are very good; they have to be in order to overcome the EU's protectionist policies.
    The Lurpak butter sells here at a premiium, I don't buy it but sadly many people do. It is nicely wrapped. A marketting con. Its not bad butter, but it is overpriced.
    I am glad that you can enjoy such a wonderful dinner. Here we get duck breasts from an outfit called Gressington who produce a crosbreed of wild mallard and one of our traditional farm breeds the name of which I forget. They are reputed to have good standardsof hygene and I have not had any trouble after cooking the magret rare. I like to drink cider with duck. Cava of even modest quality would cost about £9. Modest white Burgundy is only a couple of quid more.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Who pays tariffs? Isn't it the importer, in which case the price to consumer goes up, and chances are the ignorant and advertising-led consumer will end up out of pocket buying the imported crap they are used to rather than the beautiful British quality products™ the tariffs were intended to support.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Personally I think Lurpak is awful bland anaemic looking stuff, slick advertising campaigns convince people it is superior, in the same way that they will pay vastly more for Duracell batteries, which are in reality little or no better than many other premium alkaline cells, indeed probably made in the same factory in some instances.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I prefer the nutty taste of French President unsalted butter, Irish butter makes me feel ill with its background grassy taste, New Zealand Anchor I'd not give to my worst enemy Yes, Lurpack is pretty bland, but so are most of the British butters and some are down right disgusting to my taste buds. Normandy butter every time for me.

Lindsay Pennell likes this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lidl's Scottish butter for me. Never taste tested it against others but only used in cooking/baking anyway so not of great consequence.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Lurpak gives me the runs. Vile stuff. Brittany butter with sea salt from Lidl is our choice. Waitrose and Tesco also sell it but at around 50p more.

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Is the 'canard' you mention just an ugly rumour, Roger? And were you actually having chicken leg?;)

peterba likes this.
  15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Food sourced from the EU, or anywhere else, is neither better nor worse than that sourced from the Uk.

The biggest problem is that most fruit and vegetables are picked in a pre-ripe stage, to give the transporters , wholesalers and retailers the maximum longevity.
    Unfortunately picking so early in its life cycle Precludes the development of most of its taste and aroma. And while some fruits to ripen eventually, they gain no more flavour or character.
    If we leave it, in stead of a ripe fruit, we simply get one that is in the early stages of softening due to degeneration and rot.
    Not nice in any way.

Local ripe fruit, fresh picked, is wonderful where ever it is grown.
    Those things that freeze well and on the day, are usually better, in most respects, than those picked early and transported.
    Pineapple never ripens once harvested. and keeps quite well, which is an exception to the rule. as it can be left in the ground till ripe.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Dear John,

More nonsense. Even after "the EU's protectionist policies", Moroccan tomatoes cost less than French ones in France.

But then, you said, "It may make some products more expensive but would help us be more self sufficient. And if the duties raised were used to raise the income tax thresholds slightly would not harm the lowest paid of our own population."

That's not only mindless drivel: it's heartless, far-right mindless drivel from someone who is apparently unaware that "raising the income tax thresholds slightly" is completely irrelevant to those who do not earn enough to pay income tax anyway, i.e. the poor who would be hardest hit by your airy and thoughtless maunderings.

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

No. I'm sure it was duck. It had a very deep quack: it was a bass canard.

Cheers,

R.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I hope that deep quack had appropriate stuffing?

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Also high yielding varieties frequently do not have the flavour of their less productive counterparts. Some fruit is also stored for long periods in ways to minimise any deterioration, some of this is down to our desire for out of season produce. I will not buy Strawberries at this time of year, the best are from the UK, but are now past our growing season, the imports are expensive (for obvious reasons) and have poor texture and flavour, being either mushy (Holland and Belgium) or hard and crunchy from elsewhere.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...in your opinion of course. We sometimes buy out of season strawberries from a local shop and enjoy them. "Different strokes for different folks" as an American friend has said to me.