1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immediacy and self confidence

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Actually, I was inspired by the thread in the Lounge, Another post about the lounge. Or maybe not. about how fractious some of the postings have been recently, so I thought I'd try being a bit argumentative myself.

Didn't realise that it was willie45 who started that thread!

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

He-ell no. I don't need no stinkin' greys. Black and white was good enough for my gran' pappy an' it's good enough for me...

[​IMG]

3. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Well, first off, it doesn't need to be exhibited to be seen. Just needs someone to spot it lying on a table or on a computer screen or ....

Also I'd argue it doesn't need to be seen to be an entity separate from the creator's wishes and desires. Once completed it is out of his hands and his input has gone, his opinion no more worthy than anyone else.

Of course I believe a tree will make a sound if it falls in the forest and no one hears it ;)

4. willie45

Hey Alex, I'm friendly. You can call me Willie.

Now, if you'd read my post above ( number 55 ) you would have seen that I actually referenced my earlier thread. Mind you the amount of times I post on here and people just ignore it, then make the same point later on is nobody's business so I'm used to it :rolleyes:

On this occasion I can hardly claim to have been an earliy attendee of the party, but I've participated in a manner which I hope continued the style ;)

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Whilst you lot are on this interesting diversion could someone please define the point at which a marble bust becomes a bust and not just a piece of rock. Obviously before the final polish is applied and some time after the first chisel blows have started to shape the boulder but when in between?

That's a problem that has puzzled me on and off all my life.

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Probably when they stick it on a plinth! ;)

Or when it starts to become recognisable, or the artist decides that it's now a bust.

Although by then it's out of his hands and in the public domain (sorry, Willie :eek:).

7. willie45

Quite right too ;)

8. willie45

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid, but there's a question you can help me with if you would be so kind. What is that you're reading in your avatar? I'm sorry to be nosey and I hope you don't mind, but these things fascinate me :)

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A rather nice birthday present

Outside:

[​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Or in other words an up-market Kindle cover

10. willie45

Ah! Up-market indeed and I like the inscription :)

I'm a kindle fan myself

11. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I can see where Roger is coming from in his original post.
    i started posting in the appraisal gallery a good few years ago, and having read numerous books and articles on photography, I can quite honestly say that I've learnt a whole load more here than anywhere else.
    when I first started out, I didn't have the confidence to stand by my image and would try pretty much any advice offered in order to improve any particular shot. I'm far from where I would like to be, but I've gained the confidence to now take or leave advice, depending on the advice and where it comes from.
    If I took a **** based on a colour theme or a mood derived from it's colour and a beginner suggested that I try mono, I wouldn't. But, if I post a shot that I'm not sure about, and an experienced voice suggests an alteration, I'll generally consider it and reflect on it. Doesn't mean I'll act on it, although the I sometimes do, but the thought process alone is invaluable.
    now, this doesn't mean I don't want opinions from lesser talented people, as they still can offer valid opinions, but I would be lying if I said I didn't take a peek at the flick link of someone posting critique on my images.

i am no Van Gogh, but If I were, would I take advice from a novice? Probably not.

12. willie45

Is this a case of a mistaken vowel? If not I dread to think what sort of critique you would receive if you were to try what I suspect you typed ;)

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

Willie! What are you suggesting? I just assumed he used an endoscope...

[​IMG]

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Took me a moment to figure it out too. O and I really shouldn't be so close! :)

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Roger,

Interesting Thread and standpoint. Have only had a quick read of the posts in response to this on Monday morning but haven't had time to really consider them or those posted since. Apologies if someone has already posed this question and I've missed or not yet seen the answer.

For you, does this apply to:
    1. Photography only?
    2. All of the visual arts, or
    3. All arts including the performing arts?

Cheers, Oly

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

If you think about it, a picture of a living statue ticks all three boxes [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Oops, yes most definitely a mistake.

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Depends if you go easy on the missing dimension ;) and lack of movement & sound, Senator, but nice try. Pretty good pic, too.

Caption: Guido Fawkes seen holding 'How to do it' seminar in Trafalgar Square with audience of young hoodies on 4 November. Cheers, Oly

19. willie45

Now, I thought we had established he wasn't a Senator

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Oly,

Clear your clogged PM folder and with any luck I'll be able to send you the reply which explains why I've sent a PM rather than replying here. I'm still observing the forum but no longer wasting my time arguing with certain people.

Cheers,

R.