1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immediacy and self confidence

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

AND IT ISN'T (MOSTLY)
    THAT'S THE POINT TOO

I am more than happy to post my images for appraisal and I value all the comments I receive since someone takes the time to comment. I might take some suggestions on board, I might take none of them. Chances are I have already considered most of the points raised since I will have examined my image carefully and made some very deliberate choices about pretty much every last tiny detail. Chances are that I will already be aware of limitations, where I might have improved things. I don't lack self confidence and nor do I get carried away with how good a photo is. But still feedback is very valuable for all sorts of reasons - my own preference is for very forthright criticismm but sometimes lavish praise can tell you where you are as well - especially then if you seek another type of audience and receive a different reaction. The only critique that is entirely pointless is the 'not my cup of tea' comment, which is of course a criticism that has been levelled at your contribution.

The best way to improve an appraisal process is not to stand on the sidelines and criticise it but to participate. Post some images and comment on others. There are plenty with a keen eye here - I'm sure they would be happy to offer suggestions on your work and listen to yours on theirs.

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhh, say that again..and again....and again!!

3. Trannifan

Alright- complained rather than moaned.

Harbouring a grudge? Moi?! No way, sunshine! Whilst the other commentators were trying to find a way to appraise the picture, you quite openly said that it simply wasn't your cup of tea. An honest comment and I can live with that. If people don't like my pictures that's fine by me. I don't pander to other peoples tastes.

If I was lacking in self-confidence regarding my pictures then I wouldn't set myself outside the mainstream and produce them, would I?

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Um... I do participate. I try to encourage people who have posted what I think are good pictures, and to persuade them to ignore worthless criticism. Not all -- life isn't long enough -- but some. If I think I can see a clear flaw, I try to point that out too. If the picture is at a level where I can't give a few words of encouragement, or of what I hope may be useful suggestion, I stay out of the critiques.

Highlight: I'm sure they'd be happy. And? From all I've seen, there is a lot of point-missing and of criticism from a point of view of "If it were my picture, I would have..."

But it's not their picture, and I have sufficient confidence in both my technical ability and my artistic vision that I feel no need to ask their opinion. Their sole function would be to plant seeds of (mostly worthless) self-doubt.

You may regard this as arrogant. Again: And? Who cares? If I'm pursuing my photography the way I want, and (I think) going in the right direction, and you're pursuing your photography the way you want, and (you think) going in the right direction, then we're both probably doing something right.

This was the original point. Ignore the stuff that's not useful. That you are still nursing a grievance from two years ago suggests that you need to take it on board. I'm not God. I don't know everything. If you think my observations are useless, then either ignore them or try to explain why that might be so. But don't harbour a meaningless grudge. Addendum: Even if you maintain it isn't a grudge. But it's still two years now. Why do you still even remember it?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I really have no idea what you are on about. I harbour no grudges, certainly not from two years ago from someone I had never heard of in a place I didn't know existed. No, I don't think you're God. This seems a little odd, I bow out from issues that are in the realm of fantasy.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sorry!

I had conflated you with Trannifan (look back a couple of posts). Not fantasy: mistake. Once again, abject apologies.

Cheers,

R.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

This thread seems to have got rather heated, but in an attempt to calm it down may I suggest that we really need three forums for displaying pictures

A) the present exhibition lounge for content related discussion

B) A new forum for people to who just want to display images and get admiring comments - on another forum such a forum is called "Foto fair" and attracts "didn't you do well" type comments

C) A true appraisal gallery where we all can make, hopefully well intentioned, comments without offending he author.

Personally I have used the current appraisal gallery to get significant suggestions as how to improve an image, for which I was grateful but at other times I have attempted to make constructive comments on a submitted image only to me met with a response such as "I have been taking similar pictures for x years and I should know how to do it" If that's the case those images belong in a different gallery

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I've seen worse ideas proposed.

[​IMG]

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Mike,

Regarding the second point, "… appraisers developing …. testing their views."
    In a similar vein, I have found that, whilst working in the (camera) shop and, back in the day, whilst working/being in a darkroom, being asked questions about cameras, lenses, photos and all their intricacies and then answering them, or trying to, was an invaluable learning experience for me. I find appraising/critiquing pics has, generally, helped me down the road with my pics …… mind, you'd be hard pressed to see where mine have improved :eek:.

As for the original points, "immediacy" -- Huh:confused: -- and "self confidence", I am of the belief that, that the more one does and learns something, the better they become which should improve ones confidence :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Trannifan

Why this hang-up about supposed grudges? Having a good memory does not per se mean harbouring grudges- and even if I did harbour any, you wouldn't even be amongst the also-rans, let alone being short-listed for the top victim. I, at least, have better things to do. If this lack of a supposed grudge disappoints you.....tough!

11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Harsh...

...but fair!

[​IMG]

12. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Now, this is what I was saying about the Lounge in recent days. And everyone told me I was mistaken :rolleyes:

13. willie45

This is complete and utter bilge. Once a photograph, a poem, a book, a piece of music, is completed by it's composer it exists quite apart from his or her intentions and is in the public domain as an object whose merits can be discussed and judged by observers ( who, by the way, don't need to pass some sort to "test" before their opinions matter )

I will just say that some of the most vocal critics in many genres are those whose own work leaves much to be desired in the view of many.

Whether or not that matters is perhaps irrelevant to this argument but given some peoples' views that critics need to be qualified seems to me to be worth remembering.

14. Sejanus.Aelianus

Hmmmm... I was going to write much the same and then I thought, no, I'll be good.

Then along you come and drop a 75mm HE round, right in the middle of my good intentions...

[​IMG]

15. willie45

Well I thought since everyone else was getting a boot in .... ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  16. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be pedantic, but don't you mean exhibited or published, not completed?

17. willie45

No. Why on earth would that matter? If it exists at all and is seen at all, anyone can have a view.

18. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

I like the Appraisal Gallery. It's the part of the forum I look at most and I'm sure I've learned a lot from it. On the couple of occasions I've put pictures on I've been grateful for the comments made. I've not commented really on others pictures but I read other people's suggestions and comments with interest. Sometimes I agree, sometimes not, but that's just life.

19. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Well yes, but it needs to be seen and not just 'completed'. :)

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Do you know, I feel an appraisal coming on and where better than here?

Composition - can't be faulted.
    The construction is technically correct and well put together.
    However, it is consisting of just two tones - black and white. It lacks the full spectrum of greys, which would add so much interest!
    It is definitely time to step out of your comfort zone and dredge up that creativity which is dying to get out.
    Some colour would add to the interest of the viewer and humour would be even better! Winter is coming and we all need cheering up. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your future attempts. Good luck!

Kate