1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagine: Vivian Maier (BBC1, Tues 25th June 2013)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AlanW, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

she will provide the subject matter for many a thesis for Photo students in years to come.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Really interesting post. Haven't watched it yet, am waiting for suitable moment.

Listened to BBC R4's BotW last week, which was about autism. Have friends with autistic/Aspergers children. Found myself thinking I was autistic listening to R4 and the portrayal of symptoms & characteristics but realise my inclinations to certain things have limits or I exercise controls on them like majority of people.

I haven't responded yet to the Thread 'Why take photographs' but perhaps one of the reasons why some people become PHOTOGRAPHERS rather than casual snappers is something built in to them. Maybe we need an extra Thread on this to discuss further.

On veracity, I am conflicted on Maier. Am old enough to remember Tom Keating who made a strong impact on me. There are so many contradictions there. On the other hand, the multitude of those contradictions also make it all the more believable.

However, I was struck by a line in the iPlayer listing ...//... 'whose photographs now sell for thousands' ...//... and the alarm bells start ringing all over again! :eek:

3. 0lybacker

Fen's still working on Killip ;) so he will be long-retired when he get's to Maier! :)

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think we're all probably "on the spectrum" so to speak. Some of us are just more on it than others ;-) As for whether photography attracts more than its fair share of people with some kind of ASD or not I wouldn't like to say, but it's certainly true that I met more people with aspergers in the last 18 months, studying and working in the art/design/photography dept at college than I did during any of the time we were having my son assessed. I also know that my son hasn't fallen that far from the tree in that while I am probably not suffering from aspergers I can see the seeds of it in both myself and my husband. And equally, the only time I truly stop feeling self-concious, is when I'm taking photographs. Somehow I lose all inhibitions and I can almost feel my confidence levels rising. Perhaps I'm almost literally hiding behind the camera or perhaps I just have something utterly absorbing to do so that all other concerns float off into the distance?

I remember Tom Keating too - although as a TV presenter. The initial realisation that he was a forger occurred when I was still only very little and would have gone over my head. But from what I've just gleaned by a quick read of the web, Keating left plenty of clues behind to let anyone who cared to look for them find and reveal the truth. And he had a reason, flawed or otherwise, for creating the forgeries - a "stick that where the sun don't shine" kind of gesture to the people he felt were conniving to keep the "creatives" out of the loop financially.

So I guess I'm wondering why anyone would doubt that Vivian Maier took all these hundreds of images. If she didn't, the person that did isn't gaining anything from the deception - it isn't the original photograper, whomsoever that might be, that is reaping the profits from the sale of the prints. Which begs the question of why those selling the prints, or hanging onto the negs, would attribute them to some no-name nanny rather than try to pass them off as work from someone more famous. Unless of course, the selling point is the story and it's the story that's fake. Not that it makes any more sense that way either. Her life's work, mostly negatives that she didn't even see as prints, was sold off in lots and broken up to various different people, all of whom would have had to conspire together in the same lie. No. I'm inclined to think that this is one of life's glorious coincidences and don't feel any need for modern day cynicism.

5. 0lybacker

Whoops! Apologies for the unnecessary apostrophe ... :eek:

6. 0lybacker

Interesting. You could be right! :) {Another reason to make a determined effort to escape from 'Hotel California' ... :eek:} Expresses a bit how I felt listening to Naoki Higashida's book being read by a brilliant choice of reader, young Kasper Hilton-Hille. But then he would read a bit more and cancel everything out as far as I was relating to A/A-S is concerned!

I sort of diagnosed one of the Apserger's children of friends, later confirmed by professionals. Interestingly the sympton demonstrated by him, I have seen in other children who are not 'Aspergic' {is that an allowed variation?} but not demonstrated to the extent that 'S' did. Other friends who are parents of A/A-S children are observed from time to time and I wonder where the line of passing down occurred; seeing sometimes in one and then in the other on another occasion. Which is why I would tend to agree with you.

Cor, given another lifetime, I can see yet another career I could/would have been interested in pursuing!

Certainly can identify with that a bit although there are times when I feel very self-conscious & exposed just because I am walking around with a camera and putting it to my eye. When up high, my feelings are very different peering down to the ground through a camera rather than directly.

Well, as 'Deep Throat' says in All The President's Men - "Follow the money."

All this is happening after her death. How easy would it be to discover a lost cache of Henri Cartier Bresson's films? Not very easy. I see images on the 'I Love My Leica' site that probably are wrongly attributed or captioned. Doisneau for example used a variety of cameras, not always a Leica. One of his pictures pops up regularly with an incorrect date, obvious because of the clothes & cars plainly seen in the photo. There are all sorts of pitfalls for someone building a back story.

One of the first facts that I was given about VM was that she was hardly paid anything during her nannying career. Her accommodation was deemed as (a large) part of her salary. A reason given for undeveloped films and lack of enlargedments.

Then, one of the last facts to reach me was a picture of suitcase of undeveloped films, about 2000. Even with American low film costs that still represents a sizeable outlay. There was 35mm in there, too. Then the picture of what purports to be her collection of cameras. Note plural and including a Leica. A low paid nanny? There may be a reasonable explanation for this: the other stuff could have come initially from other sources and not all be hers. Put there by the photo lab people/storage co. people/auction house people. So, there are alarm bells there but also very reasonable explanations.

[Bear in mind this comes from a variety of internet sources that may not be directly from John Maloof and I have yet to watch the documentary. By the way, the sheer number of internet references also rang an alarm bell - for me - two years ago.]