1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image stabilisation

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Turnbacktime, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Turnbacktime

Turnbacktime Member

i am a keen amateur photographer and have a Canon 500D with about 4 lenses, a mixture of EF and one EF-S. The 500 has become flaky and I was about to replace it and like the 80D but it doesn't address one issue.
    Since a mild Stroke a few years ago I can suffer from a noticeable hand tremor which can affect the photos I take, so image stabilisation is increasingly of interest.
    Only one of my Canon lenses has IS, so to move forward with an IS solution with the 80D I could be looking at 3-4 lenses over time. Which sort of blows the automatic decision to go Canon out of the water, at least the automatic part.
    I was wondering if the sensor based IS solution on the mirror less cameras like Olympus OM, Sony Alpha7 etc was going to be a better way forward.
    Have looked at both in shops and liked them, but that doesn't give me real experience.
    Can anyone share experience of the move from DSLR to either of these models, or any other. It is only ones with sensor based IS that I am interested in, there is no real driver for me to swap other than this.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well that would still require you to buy new lenses, unless you use an adapter on the Sony, but that's not ideal for EF-S lenses. Another option would be Canon's new mirrorless EOS M6, which would work fine with your existing lenses and an adapter, and does have sensor-based IS built in.

Gezza likes this.
  3. Turnbacktime

Turnbacktime Member

Agreed going Sony or Olympus would require new lenses, but as my shake will probably get worse then going for the best IS system I can might be worth it. I should have included the Canon as an option. Might be a subconscious slip having bought one of the original EOS M cameras and been very dissappointed.
    Am really interested in how anyone has found the Canon M5 or 6, sony alpha 7, Olympus OM, or other mirrorless models compared to a DSLR. What do you really lose?

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Optical viewfinder (rather than electronic) and very fast AF. Mirrorless are catching up, but those are still the two areas DSLRs excel. Whether you need those two things is of course, the question.

5. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

I believe that the sensor based image stabilisation on the Canon EOS M6 is for video only and is electronic rather than from moving the sensor.

One problem with the Sony option is that the cheapest cameras (body only) that have built in stabilisation cost around £1200 plus the cost of an adapter if you plan to use the Canon lenses on it.
    Depending on the budget available and how much the 500D camera and lenses are worth second hand/in part exchange a micro 4/3 (Olympus or Panasonic) system may be a better solution.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Or even Pentax...;)

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think you lose the optical viewfinder and some size and weight. I use telephoto lenses so I actually prefer a heavy body (Canon 1Div). I do use a Fuji CSC that is one generation behind the current ones. I don't like the ELV but it is perfectly useable. I forget which camera has the "best" IS - there is one that claims anyone can hand hold 1s. A Pentax?

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pentax are underwhelming when it comes to pushing their camera's merits, I thought it was the new Fuji that claimed the 1 second? Or was it Olympus?

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not fuji - It's in one of the last 5 or 6 AP editions. I'll have a look

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Olympus E-M1 mkII .

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I think the question of how does the camera/lens weight affect the shake is an important one. Is the heavier SLR easier to control over the smaller micro 4:3 or will the weight make you tierd and a smaller lighter option would be a bonus.
    If the later then something like the Olympus OM-D EM10II would give in body stabilization with the ergonomics of a SLR at half the weight and price of the eos 80D. It is a very different camera to the 80D but given condition of your hands the lighter weight while still having the support of a SLR body might give better results.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would help in this case but I met a guy in Germany who suffered from quite a severe tremor problem and he was using a Nikon on a monopod with a wireless release. We had a chat over a beer and he showed me some pictures that seemed sharp enough on his iPad.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

A handheld gimbal with stabilisation may also help. Using a remote and the screen on the camera may well help.