1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image review delay - K5 with Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by ojb28, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

I haven't posted here for some time but there is a little issue I'm scratching my head about, I wonder if anyone has had similar experience or could enlighten me? I recently bought a Sigma EX 17-50mm f/2.8 secondhand from a well known dealer in Scotland, almost mint condition and it's a very nice lens. However, the image review on my K5 takes several times as long to appear after taking a shot with this lens as it does with my other Pentax lenses, and Sigma's own EX 100-300mm f/4, which are all pretty snappy. It's as if the camera is writing a massive file to the card or clearing a lot of something from the buffer. The file sizes are perfectly normal, but the review delay can be quite annoying. I'm shooting in single shot jpeg...

Any ideas?

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Interesting.

This probably doesn't help much, but I have a K20D and a K3, and the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 DC HSM, as well as several Pentax lenses, and I see no noticeable difference in the time taken for the review image to appear whichever lens is fitted, on either body. Set to raw + JPEG, with in camera corrections off on the K3.

4. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

Yes, its a bit of a puzzle. I think I have lens corrections set to 'on' at the moment on the principle of it being a good idea generally and I didn't realise it might have some operational effect. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I think the lens correction feature only works with Pentax lenses and newer ones at that. My Pentax lenses are all quite old and my three main lenses are all made by Sigma - the 10-20mm, 17-50mm and 100-300mm f4 - so it may be useless having it switched on. Though why this delay ONLY with the 17-50 I can't understand. The only feature which makes it different from the wide and the tele is the HSM focussing and I'd be surprised if that was the cause!

I'll do some tests and report back if I have any findings!

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Have you tried setting it to RAW only and turning off the lens correction. This should give you a fast preview time I would have thought. Just to see if there is any difference there?

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

If possible, I'd go to a shop and try another Sigma EX 17-50/2.8 lens on your camera and, again if possible, try your Sigma lens on another K5 or any other Pentax camera.

cheers,

Jack