1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image quality help

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Motorhomer, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Member

I would like some help with my picture quality. I am learning photography and took some pictures yesterday in full sunlight to see how sharp they would be.I was trying to take different photos at different focal lengths but the longer the focal length the worse the sharpness got. I have uploaded the images to the my web site to keep the image files as big as possible and reduce any quality loss.

These images are at 16mm and the best of the lot.

The images do not look as sharp as i normally get when in full auto mode. i know the exposure is slightly over exposed but still the sharpness i thought would be very good.

The first image was RAW and converted to JPG in light-room with no processing. The lower image is JPG processed by the camera.

If this a matter of adjusting the F stop up to about f/8 or am i doing something else wrong.

Thanks for any help

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The longer the focal length the more sensitive the results are to shake. Also depending on the lens, zoom performance is not constant over the focal length and aperture range. Raw files are by definition unprocessed. Lightroom will apply some default sharpening, less than DPP which comes closer to applying the camera settings which are usually set to provide quite high sharpness. Lenses often perform best at about F8-F11. With a 16 mm lens depth of field should be good but if you are pixel peeping realise that you don't ordinarily view the picture that size so anything you do see that is a bit soft has to be taken in context.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In the first picture the plane of focus seems to be on the near tree and the depth of field is too thin at f4 to reach the dog. Also leaves move at the slightest breeze so even at 1/200 they often show movement. The second shot is showing camera shake and f5.6 at 100mm has very little depth of field. The best way to test what's going on is to pick a subject with clearly defined edges and put the camera on a very solid support like a brick wall. Also, the oldest tip in the book, always squeeze the shutter release very gently.

4. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Member

Thanks Andrew. i thought it was just my eyes or monitor but you can see the leaves are not so good.
    Hopefully i will have another go at this tonight with different aperture settings and as you advised i will pick a more solid subject.
    i thought at 1/200 sec with 16mm focal length would be ample for correct sharpness taking into account the rule of shutter speed being bigger than focal length.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As you've now discovered, there's both camera movement and subject movement. You need to learn to deal with both.