1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image information in AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by RogerMac, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

It was the biggest circulation increase in Time Inc's entire 50-odd title portfolio, so we were pretty pleased. Although that portfolio just dropped by one because they have just closed NME.

Roger Hicks and jacobs_mark like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well done. Last week's issue was particularly good I thought. My overall impression is that the mag is more engaging than it was a couple of years ago - I don't keep back copies so it is hard to be specific but if it doesn't fall through the letterbox on Saturday I do feel a disappointment perhaps stronger than in the past. Incidentally this Saturday it didn't and I'm travelling so I won't see this week's edition until Friday :(

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Just answered my own question,

So I guess it's done at the overall publisher level, and that the publisher sees stats for which magazines are being read.

4. I take it you don't mean any connection between you writing for them and their subsequent demise!

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,

Probably not. Even more that I never wrote for have gone out of production. And the one I write for now performed the almost unheard of trick of increasing its circulation in the last ABC round.

Cheers,

R.

6. Thanks Roger, your end page is one I always read In AP, sometimes I find it puzzling but always interesting so I'm sure that's the main reason the circulation has gone up!

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

Thank'ee kindly!

Which bits do you find puzzling? Or is it just the pics I pick?

Cheers,

R.

8. With some of the photos I find it a bit puzzling as to what it was about them that initially made them stand out to you. Obviously when I read your text it makes sense, not that I always agree. As a recent example 'Detail of Industrial Building in Massachusetts'. Not obviously a great photo but nevertheless with your information about it highly interesting. I still don't really like it though!

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

Fair point, but I'll let you in behind the scenes with four secrets.

One is that I'll sometimes think, "Anyone could have taken that!" Then I ask myself whether I actually could have taken it, and how I'd have approached it. A lot of the time I realize that it's not as easy as it looks.

Another is that sometimes I'll think, "This picture illustrates a particular point really well." This can be the case even with a so-so picture. Or indeed with a totally mediocre or even (by modern standards) "how not to" picture such as the suffragette from the Bain collection.

Third, I spend literally hours every week looking for pictures for the column, thinking about them, asking myself what they say. That changes your perspective.

Fourth, the repro doesn't always do justice to the pictures, which are much more striking as prints or on screen than in photomechanical repro on (relatively) cheap paper. This was very much the case with the example you give.

Cheers,

R.

10. Roger, Thanks for that interesting information I'm absolutely certain it's no easy task searching out these photos. As I say I do find your column interesting and different which is a good thing.