1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image Flashing When Viewed - Lumix FZ200

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by ybrent, Oct 22, 2015.

1. ybrent

ybrent New Member

Hello,
    I recently acquired a Lumix FZ200. I've taken several practice shots but when I go to view the pictures some of the pictures flash repeatedly on viewing (the image seems to flash between the full colour image and a monochrome black-white sort of inverse image?) . Either the whole picture flashes or parts of the picture flash. Any help with this appreciated. Thanks!
    Greg.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

OK, big caveat, I am not familiar with this camera at all. But it sounds to me as though the screen is set to show where you have over-exposed the image. Not sure how helpful that is until someone can help with why they are overexposed... sorry!

Adrian

3. ybrent

ybrent New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes overexposure sounds right. I'll hopefully get some more replies!

Greg.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A lot of cameras have an overexposure indicator where any blown pars of the picture flash black then white.

Try taking a picture of something reasonably mid toned with no blown highlights and then massively overexpose the same scene. If the overexposed image flashes as you describe then it likely a highlight warning system.

5. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

You should be able to turn that off very easily. I don't have that camera but it may just be a toggle on a "display" or "info" button which cycles through various display options, or it may be buried in the menu somewhere.
    It's quite useful though.

6. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

You need to understand why certain parts of a photo are over exposed and blink on the histagram. my advice is search on YouTube for camera blinkies or histagram and learn about what your camera can meter for. What you are seeing is over exposer on the light parts. the blinking. its not a bad thing as it shows parts of the picture that are over exposed and detail lost forever. some times you have no option other than chose the what's most important to you and your picture. or use other means like HDR another thing worth looking at to understand camera meter systems and how much a camera can see compared to an eye.

7. ybrent

ybrent New Member

Thanks for the replies. I took some more pictures in the park using Intelligent Auto but most of the pictures are blinkies! I would have thought this mode would automatically set appropriate exposures, etc. and therefore there should be no blinkies? I would like to turn this feature off but then it seems I may be sacrificing image quality?

Greg.

8. ybrent

ybrent New Member

I've managed to turn the blinkies off! Still getting to know the camera. Thanks!

Aurel Gergey likes this.
  9. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

its not just you. everyone has dynamic range problems with cameras. its how you manage the problem. I recently took some photos of a horse and rider up close and moving fast so the settings I chose were to catch the horse and rider. the only problem was the sky was blown out and white. I had no choice because the subject was moving so HDR wouldn't work, I was panning also. but I got a shot that was ok and useable even though the sky wasn't as it should be. I could photoshop a sky in but the background was trees. its not always easy and sometimes you have to make a choice or work harder to get the results you really want. stick with it and learn to read your histogram. it will help and make sense the more you use your camera.

10. Aurel Gergey

Aurel Gergey New Member

Hi Ybrent - can you tell me please how you managed to turn it off? Would be heavily appreciated:)

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The question was from 2015 and probably a one off. The manual will tell you.