1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not a Pro but I'll have a go...

Discussion in 'Personal Portfolio Sites' started by fussydave, Sep 15, 2017.

1. fussydave

fussydave New Member

Hi all,

new here and would be grateful for any feedback on the site I created using Adobe Creative Cloud (comes with my Lightroom subs)

thanks in advance

Dave

https://kingdom.myportfolio.com/

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It works. It took me a while to realise you have to click on the tabs and not the opening screen.With many personal sites you get a splash screen first. I should say that I am using an ancient ipad which doesn't always do as a computer does.

PS I forgot to say I expected to click on the splash screen to enter the site.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It comes up quicky and fine on my PC. No problems. Front (splash) screen shows and the tabs are clear and the images come up quickly when I click on the tabs. The format is fine as far as I'm concerned. The only thing for me is the pale grey font in your about screen. I would personally have the narrative showing more clearly (a darker font?) and perhaps your image off to one side, giving a half and half view of image and narrative.

Have fun!

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I'll go along with that (blue marking). A few years back, when I was trying to get voice-over work, I checked out recording studio websites, a lot of which had obviously been designed by web-designers, graphic artists and the like who seemed to love illegible colour combinations for text and background, to say nothing of miniscule font sizes! Legibilty was apparently an alien concept for them.

Lynn

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It is. I used to write technical reviews of web sites for clients and this was always an area of concern. The usual response was "so you prefer it boring?"

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

They clearly had no imagination! I think the layout of the about sscreen is as important, if not moreso, than the images. I know it irritates the heck out of me to have to peer at the words to see what is being said. You want it to be attractive and in-your-face clear.

7. fussydave

fussydave New Member

Thanks, all good feedback. I'm a graphic designer so yes, guilty as charged of "classy typography" but impact and legibility have a place too so I'm making notes :)

8. Catriona

Well, it's you you are selling! If you come across as vibrant and innovative, I'm far more attracted to that than a stream of images.
    How about - This is me (followed by image) I'm so and so (clear and in my face, so I'll remember you and connect you to your image). Don't tell me you are a graphic designer - SHOW me!
    Still, I guess it depends on who you want to attract. Weddings? Portraits? Web designers? Businesses? People who want pretty landscapes on their walls? Galleries? Curators? Different needs for different folk.

I look forward to seeing how it progresses. :)

Kate

9. fussydave

fussydave New Member

I think the photographs should do the talking really, that's why my "about" bit is an aside at the moment.

I'm not a massive "blow my own trumpet" kind of person and tend to avoid those types! lol. My aim here is more to have an online place that I can refer people to if they want to see a bit more, but not overload them, I chose a handful of images for each category not massive galleries that never get clicked.

I don't want wedding work or the associated stress ;-) I'm just a hobbyist who may bud into a semi-pro in the years ahead but for now I'm honing my skills

All input is good though so thanks all

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Nice and direct.
    looks good full size on my computer.
    However I would think the pictures would be too small on smaller screen devices.
    I would like to see them clickable to enlarge to say 1024 long edge.
    I would prefer the text as deep grey rather than light grey.

11. fussydave

fussydave New Member

Thanks Terry, will make amends but I fear the clickable larger image size is a limitation of the free web template

best

Dave

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It all works very well for me - I don't even mind the grey text, although a little darker might not go amiss.

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Like the menu on your own homepage?

Lynn

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That site is a mess, which is why I don't use it any more. It's only really there as a record of the work I did at art school.