1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going right off the BBC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

As for the political parties from time to time wanting to clip the BBC's wings, this usually occurs because the party in power sees something it doesn't like, at which point the opposition immediately oppose it; However, when their opposite number gets collard the same way and they are then in opposition, they oppose the motion as well. Overall, I think the BBC's coverage is pretty balanced and why it's probably the most highly regarded TV channel in the world.

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with "BBC bias". It's their infantile website content that irritates me. It increasingly reminds me of the lowest form of clickbait.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Willie,

At that, it's better than the Guradian. And a lot less depressing.

Cheers,

R.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ilistened to Stephen Sackur this morning on HARDTalk on the BBC World Service.
    I spent most of my time with my jaw dropping.
    He is brilliant.
    Stephen Sackur speaks to Mikheil Saakashvili who served two terms as President of Georgia
    and boy, he pulls no punches.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I certainly appreciate BBC World Service available to home listeners.WE pay for it afterall. For many years we could only get it in Britain from short wave transmitters pointing in the wrong direction. I first listened regularly during my Kenya years about fifty years ago. Hearing the clarity of DAB does however destroy the ambiance.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You could get it on 648KHz, Medium Wave, iirc. If you were in the SE of England.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I had not realised.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It's a variation on 'spot the difference' for the high-tech, short attention span, age.

The BBC isn't perfect, but the alternatives are so much worse... the BBC has 'dumbed down' because they have to compete for the audience to want this stuff. This nothing new, but now they have to do it on their website too

Ignore the stuff that is aimed at an illiterate, ignorant, narrow-minded and unimaginative audience, and appreciate that the remaining 10% is so good.

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  9. willie45

It galls me to pay the licence fee for the other 90% though. I can get it on ITV for nothing

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Assuming you never ever buy anything that's advertised on TV.

TV advertising is payed for by everyone, whether they have a TV or not.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. willie45

If it's there it's there. It doesn't go away if I pay a license fee!

PhotoEcosse likes this.