1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm after a leica III

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Craig Vanrooy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Craig Vanrooy

Craig Vanrooy Active Member

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking at treating myself to a WW2 era camera. I have a kodak brownie - and I am looking into getting another 120 format camera but for Christmas I want to treat myself to a nice 35mm - Looking into a Leica III or a Contax II.

The issue I have is that I cannot seem to find any camera shops nearby (Warrington) that would stock vintage cameras. This leaves me with eBay - dubious at best, or a good camera shop that comes recommended and posts!

So on that note, anyone know of any?

Cheers,

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You could try Ffordes... I've bought used kit from them before, not vintage Leica mind, without difficulties.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I picked up a nice Contax II a couple of months ago at the Real Camera Shop in Manchester - that's about the closest to Warrington that I can think of.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers, they had been one of the websites that appeared but I was put off by the lack of descriptions. That said if people recommend them on here they could be worth looking into!

5. Craig Vanrooy

Just looked into this, right behind Piccadilly, so only 25 mins on the train! Looking at his eBay store he also has a Leica IIIa and IIIc so this looks great! might have to pop up!

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

While you're there you can also have a look at the Leica Store in St Ann's Square - last time I was in Manchester I stood with my nose pressed against their window, drooling slightly, until a man came out with a big stick and chased me away!

Cheers, Jeff

7. Craig Vanrooy

So yeah...... I take it that's a warning NOT to take the credit card out with me then? haha

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I bought a Voigtlander lens from ffordes. They "ummed" a bit about the description, "it's not perfect, sir.", but when it arrived, I'm damned if I can see anything even remotely wrong with it. Not a bad price as well.
    They get my vote.

S

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember once buying a dress for the girlfriend of the time, at Fenwicks, iirc. It was marked down to a ludicrously low price because it was 'imperfect'. We asked what was wrong with it. The nice young lady assistant lifted one of the flounces on the shoulder and pointed out a tiny quarter inch or so) run in the material. I bought the dress.

Unfortunately (depending on your point of view), it was quite low cut at the front and my young lady had to lash out on a suitable new bra. Which cost twice what the dress did!

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

But the lens doesn't need a bra...

S

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Looks a great shop, I expect you could get carried away! How have you got on with the Contax?

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I'll bback Ffordes ttoo. Ddead Sstraight,

A Leica is a vastly simper camera than a Contax: more reliable (less to go wrong), and if it does go wrong, easier and therefore cheaper to repair. By WW2 you'd be into IIIc and the possibly mythical IIId (IIIc Delayed Action). I've had most screw-mount Leicas (II, III, IIIa, IIIb, IIIf, IIIg) and I'd recommend an early IIIc without the manky chrome that happened in wartime. The IIIc has the cast chassis and several other improvements. Or even consider a IIIf. Or an M3, introduced over 60 years ago.

With cameras this old, you're dealing as much with sample variation as with model quality. Buy a camera in good order, ideally with a guarantee, rather than worrying which model it is.

Have you read Leicaphilia?

Cheers,

R.

13. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers everyone I'll keep an eye out on ffords too then. Just had a quick read through Leicaphilia, Its rather interesting!