1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilford 'Safety Positive' Film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by tankflyboss, Oct 28, 2017.

1. tankflyboss

tankflyboss Member

Hello all,

A rather generous stranger gave this too me not long ago, I purchased some Patterson tanks and he threw this in saying "it was my dad's, I've got no idea."

So I paid my £5 a box of stuff (including two very nice triple and complete Paterson tanks) and took this too:
    ilford_positive.JPG

I'm a bit intrigued about this, it is as far as I can tell still sealed.

Any ideas about this film (apart from the fact it's especially aged) - I've no idea what process it works with or even that it is still camera stock.

I'm always up for experimentation and I'd happy load a few feet of it if it would process in E6 just to see what happens but any information is scant on this film.

Any information most welcome :)

Cheers,
    tfb

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It will be a very slow film (ASA 2 or less) for contact printing slides from negatives; blue sensitive only. DON'T use E6 or the emulsion will fall off the base. I'll look it up in one of my old books when I have time (just off to buy some food).

Cheers,

R.

tankflyboss likes this.
  3. tankflyboss

tankflyboss Member

Thank you Roger, I did expect it wouldn't be an E6 (or related) stock, but thank you for stopping me just wasting it! If you did get a chance to look it up please let me know as I can find very, very little about this film stock online beyond the fact that it "existed." Even the 'Ilford Colour' webpage I found doesn't mention much beyond that it was available.

ASA 2 sounds incredible!

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Is this anything to do with your film? Read down a bit and on back cover
    Here

tankflyboss likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Dear Rog,

That's the one!

Cheers,

R.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We had some film strips at school. As I got further into photography I remember wondering how long each one survived given the technical abilities of our teachers. Science fiction of that period was very big on "book films" which were described as requiring "readers". I suspect that if we'd gone down that route in reality authors and publishers would be much happier bunnies.

7. Roger Hicks

I figured you wouldn't be the only one interested so I scanned the Ilford data sheet and put it up on my .eu site.

Cheers,

R.