1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignorant Archbishop and PM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Apr 5, 2017.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The Archbishop of York seems to have made an utter pratt of himself by moaning that Cadbury's chocolate eggs were not always referenced by the word "Easter". He suggested that the company was "spitting on the grave" of its founder, John Cadbury.

I should have thought that anyone achieving the lofty position of Archbishop in the Anglican church would have had at least a rudimentary knowledge of comparative religion and would have known that John Cadbury, as a Quaker, would not have recognised or celebrated Easter (or, for that matter, Christmas).

It seems that Theresa May, in supporting the Archbishop's ignorant comments, demonstrated a similar lack of basic education.

Can we expect another outburst if Cadbury fail to attach the word "Christmas" to their chocolate Santas?

2. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

And why would anyone want to mix up religion with a perfectly good holiday and chocolate eating tradition anyway?

dream_police likes this.
  3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Easter has always been an holiday for me with an extra twist....an Easter Egg thrown in...of course I am speaking as a young boy, the word Easter should not be dropped of the wrappers that contain Easter Eggs.....The prime minister is a very religious person and at this point of time she is a very busy person too, unlike the Archbishop who we never see rushing around, so in answer to your thread yes they should have known better than to put statements out like that, but are they worried about the Easter thing I think not.....

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are people around who claim that the whole thing is a Christian ripoff of the pagan Ēostre celebrations, apart from those who claim that the Venerable Bede invented Ēostre in the 8th century and the other people who claim the Christians grafted the whole thing onto the Jewish Passover festival. On top of which none of the schisms seem able to agree when Easter should happen. So why shouldn't we change the name of the thing to Cadbury Egg Day?

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Or Mondelez International Chocolate-Flavoured Product Egg Day.

Cheers,

R.

Scphoto, saxacat and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Odd, then, that she gives so little evidence of it. Compassion would be a good start. So would not selling arms to murderous mediaeval misogynists. Or dispatching Liam Fox to boast of our "shared values" with a self-confessed mass murderer. Though I suppose, given what the Tories have done/are doing/want to do with the welfare state, at least the last is consistent.

Then again, if she upsets the Sauds too much, she won't just be rushing about like a headless chicken, she'll be laid out flat like a headless prime minister.

Cheers,

R.

Scphoto, Zou, peterba and 5 others like this.
  7. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

John Sentimu is an opportunist clown (IMVHO) with his sights on Canterbury. Surely the egg is a pagan symbol anyway, the renewal and rebirth of spring. :rolleyes:

Scphoto and Catriona like this.
  8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Chocolate eggs without an "Easter" label can be marketed throughout the year. :)

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

We are all pagans up here...

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It has been a while since my last thorough reading of the bible, but in which book does it mention chocolate eggs?

Zou, Trannifan, peterba and 2 others like this.
  11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I remember the part where Jesus was eating a creme egg and accidentally left a bit of foil wrapping on it - the foil touched one of his fillings and he got so upset that he kicked a rabbit.

I think it might have been in one of the more exciting chapters - one of those with all the plagues and apocalypses and stuff...Revelations perhaps?

Cheers, Jeff

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Since JC, (if he was born at all, as he probably was), would have arrived in July, so technically illegitimate by Jewish standards of the day, I'm sure he would be totally bemused by anyone selling a chocolate effigy of a Coca-Cola marketing device in December, in remembrance of his birthday.

I'm sure, however, he would agree it would be far less likely to melt then.

13. Roger Hicks

The Epistle to the Capistoles.

Cheers,

R.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

So when do you burn your Wicker Man, and who's going to be the guest of honour?
    The list could be rather long.

Catriona and TheFatControlleR like this.
  15. IvorCamera

Roger, most religious people dont show any compassion at all, well not the ones that I know anyway, but the prime minister does go to church quite often and they say people go to church for guidance, and of course the Archbishop is nearly always in a church or Cathedral....

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Reminds me of these t-shirts, tea towels and mugs!

Cheers, Jeff

17. Roger Hicks

Then are they actually religious? Or are they more of the kind described in Matthew 23:27?

Cheers,

R.

18. IvorCamera

Well to be honest Roger I dont know what Mathew described.....its been a long time since I read the bible, I tend to only read the books with pictures in these days....but I am sure you will tell me about the Mathew guy! Or is it Matthew I get confused over names......

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've looked long and hard and can't find my photos - but suffice to say - we had a wickerwoman here! Our men know their places...

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I know mine and my wife is only 1/16th Highlander! :(