1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are using an old version of PS or LR...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, May 15, 2019 at 7:15 AM.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

This is weird.
    It applies to earlier Creative Cloud products, which are all subscription based.
    Under the terms of the subscription, users are upgraded to the latest version as a matter of course if they so choose. The only reason not to would be a lack of compatibility.

Non-CC software is not affected.

peterba likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great way to get users to switch to other applications, think I'll stick with Nikon's free software.

Not that older versions of Nikon software are entirely free or problems. If you use Capture NX2 it works with MacOS Mojave but only if you upgrade the OS with NX2 already installed, you can't load, or transfer, NX2 onto Mojave. The difference being that nobody is forcing you to upgrade your OS.

peterba likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sound as though Adobe want their users to upgrade their OS, which may of course require a hardware upgrade as well, could get expensive either way.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you think I'm clicking on a link to vice.com .......

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

So I can own my house and my car but not a bit of software. Not a company I'd want to support, glad I use none of their stuff! ;)

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Don't use any paid for Mud Brick software, only have their PDF reader. Won't be getting any either.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We have the adobe cloud package (but luckily it is the student version, so is therefore considerably cheaper but still fairly pricey).
    Looking at the cost of these software packages that you do not actually own, is it any wonder that people look elsewhere for a very easily found bootleg version?

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought vice versa were dirty poems written by D H Lawrence before he went to Arabia:rolleyes:

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

All I know is that you can not throw too much mud at an Adobe house:rolleyes:

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I rarely use PS CS 6 and it will go when I upgrade with a new PC in the next couple of months. I still use LR when I am lazy because I am not up to speed with Affinity. I am quite happy to bid farewell to Adobe for good. Adobe have a fine product capable of supporting organisations with several generations of users but their software lacks clean design. Adobe now reminds me of Computervision many years ago when Pro Engineer came on the scene in the CAD CAM revolution. Adobe is old hat, over complex with many, often obsolete ways, of doing the same thing.
    I am very impressed by Affinity. They have a good design package which is mainly vector graphics based, a brilliant photo package, obviously raster based , which I am learning, and an early version publisher which I may well use in prefference to MS publisher for creating our friends of country park newletter. All they lack is a database for digital asset management. This is a young aggressive and innovative company to watch. The files generated in one product are readable in another product. Affinity also got a top award in one of AP's roundups.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am not sure that our climate is quite right for adobe houses.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've been saying for years that Adobe PS was bloated but nobody wanted to agree. Essentially Photo Shop is intended to support the print industry meaning that it has many features that the average, and many an above average, photographer will never use. Fine if you want to subscribe but I find other software simpler and more intuitive.

Footloose and Learning like this.
  15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've never seen what all the hype is for PS, and the price is ridiculous except maybe for commercial use; I've used Micrografx Picture Publisher since V2 in 1992, it got to V10 when Corel bought Micrografx back in 2002, its' now available as a free or dirt cheap download. It does all I've ever wanted, it ain't broke so no need to fix it, it does need an XP emulator to run in Win 7, but the emulation happens automatically.

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've been a PaintShop Pro user since 1992 when it was a Shareware rather than a commercial product. I did buy Photoshop 3 back in 1995 but have to say I preferred using PSP, because of the way its menus were configured. I've recently downloaded a full version of Affinity Photo, but as yet haven't managed to get to grips with it, because it's magic wand does not work the same way as PSP. As for Adobe's products, I don't like using apps that you subscribe to, rather than actually own.

I'm guessing that Adobe went over to this because many users were only upgrading their products when the OS they were using, no longer supported the version they owned. However, Adobe presumably hated people doing this and wanted a regular steady flow of income, rather than surges that bringing out new versions generates.
    Many of the functions that PSP and Adobe's products deliver, I have never needed to use, and whilst I do take RAW images, I invariably convert these RAW files as TIFFs in the camera manufacturers software, which I then edit in PSP. Generally speaking, I will edit these files as TIFFs and then when satisfied with them, convert them to JPEGs.

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

The current version of FastStone Image Viewer has a number of image editing features - accessed, at least in my case, by taking the cursor to the left hand side of your image when in full screen mode, i.e. image with black surround. It was free when I downloaded it.

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

We have a similar build, but we call it "Cob".....

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

But proper cob has lots of stones and pieces of wood and bits of newspaper in it (I live in one) :D

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

In Nottingham a Cob is what you eat wrapped around your sandwich filling of choice...
    "Gizza bacon cob duck, ahm starvin' as I ent 'ad any brekfust "