1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If MPs vote down the withdrawal agreement for a third time this week, Brexit probably won’t happen”

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nah! She'll just keep asking them to vote. After hearing her former speech writer trying to be tactful this morning, nothing will stop her now.

PS MUCH as I would like Brexit not to happen, it will.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think there is a good chance they will pass it this time. There is a huge amount of lobbying going on as only way to appease the right and not alienate the rest too far. She's using terminology like "you might lose Brexit", like that is some great loss. I suspect Project Fear has moved on from fear of economic impact to fear of what the right will do if they don't get it.

I'm guessing there will be a few thugs and unsavoury characters out against the march next Saturday.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

What do you have against democracy?

Jack

6. Andrew Flannigan

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

May’s democracy is to deny us a second referendum, but push her idea again and again and again until the ERG gets its way.

S

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Why are many votes on the same thing "democratic"
    but another referendum "un democratic" ?
    Double standards?

9. steveandthedogs

Leaver style democracy.

S

10. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

There was a small but definite majority for leave in the 2016 referendum.

11. Andrew Flannigan

...and we now know a great deal more than we did then. So: if a referndum was a good idea then another referendum must be a good idea now.

12. steveandthedogs

And if I remember aright, Farage stated that a 52-48 remain majority, then the fight would continue.

S

RogerMac and peterba like this.
  13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Ah, whataboutism........

14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You do remember aright, Steve.

From memory, he said (just before the referendum) something along the lines of: if it is close - for example 52:48 - then you haven't heard the last of this... mark my words. Note that I've purposely italicised the words, rather than putting them in quotation marks, because I can't claim that what I've written is verbatim - but it is pretty damned close to what he said.

Of course, he should be challenged with this whenever he pops up on our screens spouting his repulsive bile - but, as always, the useless media machine fails to hold his feet to the fire. :(

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Err, legally A50 unless revoked, means without a deal out with one, UK exits EU on the 29th.

Learning likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the advisory referendum. In other words one with no legal obligation to deliver the chosen outcome.

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

37% of the total electorate is a majority???!!!

Lynn

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, 57.61% of all votes cast in the 2017 General Election went to parties OTHER THAN the Conservative Party... but, we still ended up with that party in government.

"Democracy" is a funny old game, ain't it?

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A mate can't come up for roast sirloin because he's on call because of Brexit. Some cobra thing going on, whatever that is:eek:

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Interesting!