1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identification if possible please?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by transition, Sep 30, 2017.

1. transition

transition Member

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Looks like a Nikon EM camera with E series lenses. Classed as a beginner's camera back in the day 1979_1982

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, but it's a Nikon FM. A semi-pro camera in it's day and built to last.

Cheers, Jeff

4. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Its definitely not an EM, I think is an FM.

(oops beaten to it :) )

5. transition

transition Member

Thank you. Not wishing to steal anyone's thunder but it looked as if you could just see FM and a seral number in the oblique view. It also crossed my mind whether it was a legitimate sale?.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's Ebay - you just have to take your chances!

The seller has a lot of feedback and it's relatively decent. The camera doesn't look too shabby from the pictures.

The FM was a decent piece of kit - mechanical shutter, manual focus and battery-powered exposure meter. Providing it's in working order, the price at the moment is reasonable compared to FM bodies selling for between £50 and £100.

Cheers, Jeff

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Well what would I know I am a Pentax man. Only thought it was EM because of the E lenses:oops:

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The camera is a Nikon FM, as pointed out above the letters FM appear before the serial number. The 50mm f1.8 lens is NOT an E series lens but the 100 f2.8 is an E, I can't identify the zoom beyond that it appears to be a 35-200 but research suggests that it is an AI-S lens with an aperture of f3.4-4.5. The other lens is probably a wide angle but the image is too poor to tell any more.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It went for £124.78 and is a good buy provided that the camera and Nikon lenses are indeed in fully working condition. I am not doubting the seller's honesty, however given the diversity of the things that he sells, and the poor description given, I do wonder if he had the knowledge to assess condition. The camera and 50mm type N Ai lens (in good condition) are worth more than the price paid. The 100mm series E AIS lens, and the wide angle (which look like either 28mm or 35mm series E) are a small bonus. The Sunagor super zoom might be at best be considered a museum piece example of what came before today's superzoom; I would not welcome a need to use it..

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Yeah... I have a 50mm lens off an EM that works very well on an original F. And on a Df,

It's sometimes a good idea to avoid offering opinions on subjects about which you know little or nothing. Such as Brexit. (No, that's not a hijack; just an attack on offering an opinion/ vote from a starting point of complete or at least substantial ignorance.)

Cheers,

R,

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some of the item pictures are pretty useless here. The Nikon E Series lenses were good optically with lighter build than their Nikkor counterparts.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If people followed that principle you could get most of the internet onto a couple of the old 8" floppy disks!

beatnik69, spinno and DaveM399 like this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Ooh that smarts...

14. transition

transition Member

Thank you for all your replies. Someone once said "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt". Wish I had the gumption to keep my mouth closed sometimes.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

There are no silly questions though there are often a lot of silly answers...;)

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

No, there really are silly questions. One I can think of is "where is the battery compartment on my 1960s Leica?" As there are no electronics, and no need for a battery, a few moments' thought would suffice. Another is questions along the lines "What would happen if I..." when the answer is TRY IT. Unless there's a risk of breaking something (and you can generally guess pretty well when that is likely), why go on line?

This was a perfectly reasonable question, as are most. But really, silly questions do exist.

Cheers,

R.