1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID confirmation please

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RogerMac, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I spotted this customer on Pangbourne meadows this morning. I would have identified it as a Cormorant or possibly a shag except I thought that those were only seen round the coast so I would be grateful for confirmation

IMG_1486  B.JPG

Geren, lfc1892, RovingMike and 2 others like this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's a cormorant. They've moved inland and are a big problem on lakes and reservoirs that are stocked for angling.

PhotoEcosse, Catriona and RogerMac like this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments, Just in case you are not yet bored here is a head and shouders show (probably in the wrong forum)

IMG_1479 B.JPG

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I usually say "ooooh" when I see one. Not because they are in any way rare (behind gulls, oystercatchers and curlews they are possibly our most seen coastal bird) but because in Japanese they are called "u" (鵜). A cheap pun, but I take 'em where I can find 'em. ;)

Geren, peterba, RogerMac and 2 others like this.
  5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have also seen them at Mapledurham Lock. In London there were loads near Vauxhall Bridge when I stayed nearby. One for the April theme?

RogerMac likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just outside Brussels in the grounds of an old Abbey are carp ponds and I have seen Cormorants fishing abreast so they form a line across the pond as they sweep the length. Mind you, I can't see a cormorant being much of a threat to the big ones.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

But you need the little 'uns there to grow into big uns. :)