1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really do wish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

1. Angela Merkel is a very soporific person who is not against swiping social democratic ideas, much to the annoyance of some in her own party.

2. Burkas, niqabs and the like have nothing to do with islam! They are not mentioned anywhere in the koran and the hadithas but are actually pre-islamic tribal traditions which various imams have found it useful to perpetuate.

Lynn

Footloose and Learning like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Wrong. Abdul Aziz (AKA Ibn Saud) did it all by himself starting in 1902. He built on the efforts of his ancestors going back to Muhammad bin Saud who started to carve out a little kingdom for himself in 1744. The only British involvement was to trade arms for oil starting in the 1930s - a fine tradition that we continue today.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

The list is not bad, but 1 and 3 can get into conflict (sorry for the pun).

Sometimes to protect human rights war or some violence is needed against those who are attacking those rights.

If you oppose war totally then we would all be speaking German right now.

Defending the environment is tricky, we all probably blindly buy goods that we know are made in China. So as buyers we can affect change ourselves if we desire it.

A example right now is North Korea, do we bomb that country?

Not with nukes because there is more than enough regular firepower to flatten that nation. Which is what I think Trump was suggesting.

NK is violating Japan's air space which the Japanese have a right to use without missiles flying through it.

NK risk injury to innocent citizens of Japan.

4. P_Stoddart

And? So What?

If a woman or man wants to cover up, let them. It's a form of free expression even protest at possibly the over use of CCTV? LOL

I wear a baseball cap and get quite annoyed at signs in supermarket moaning about going in with it on.

I can fully understand issues in banks and other sensitive areas. Plus they are private property.

It is a dangerous slope if you start police what can be wore in the street. Do you arrest girls who skirts are too short or tops to revealing.

Or arrest a guy for no shirt at all.

Certainly naked people get arrested :p LOL

Zou likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I find it reassuring that everyone, on this web site, so far has seen the irony. At some university campuses the shallow brained feminist lobby would have virtually crucified you for that. Unless you were physically there of course, in which case you would have died knowing what it fealt like to be literally crucified to the point of death.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I must be thinking of a different Saud that was extensively backed by Britain helping him become the dominant ruler in the region.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The reason for covering up identifiable feaures raises suspicion. Fully naked people raise issues of hygene in gyms and other public places where they might be seated and swetty. As for just appearing naked in public provided that they are reasonably proportioned, not only am I not offended, but would see them as an elegant addiiton to the scene. A naked obese girl wearing a baseball cap back to front is another matter.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ironic that the world's most powerful nation occupied Korea, did everything it could to avoid unification having arbitrarily divided it, killed an estimated 20% of the population of the north, arms the south, invades countries around the globe willy-nilly, overthrows democracies, murders civilians etc etc and the folk who they corner are the bad guys...

Don't know about the last test but the reports I saw of the one about three weeks ago suggested the rocket was at higher altitude than Japanese airspace so no violation was made. Also flight path was over the straits between Honshu and Hokkaido, so not over populated areas.

Trannifan likes this.
  9. Trannifan

As long as they don't claim that their religion orders them to.................

Lynn

10. Andrew Flannigan

The only connection between Saud family and the British was a bloke called Harry St. John Bridger Philby who had converted to Islam and later took the name Sheikh Abdullah. He is somewhat better known as the father of Kim Philby. Philby Senior was sent to the Arabian Peninsula in 1917 to make a deal with Hussein bin Ali who was the British nominee to become the boss of what became Saudi Arabia. Philby started the family tradition of outright treachery by changing sides to help Ibn Saud. Also in that tradition Philby happily accepted the job of head British spy in the Mandate of Palestine in 1921 and immediately started scheming with Ibn Saud to remove Hussein bin Ali from the game. His bosses found out about this and sacked Philby in 1924. He continued as an unofficial advisor to Ibn Saud until the Saudi strong man died in 1953 but fell out with Ibn Saud's son Saud bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and was kicked out of the kingdom.

11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

How does tolerating the burka fit into the proposition that we should actively intervene in liberating women?

12. P_Stoddart

I am not suggesting that the UK and USA are pure as snow. We have not obeyed the rules on sovereignty. Iraq as a case in point. :(

But here we have a nation firing into another nation who has not done a thing to them. Japan are now at their core pacifist.

From reports I read the missile did break Japan airspace at 12,200 ft that's why the siren sounded and it crossed over Japan's land mass.

So if the missile had malfunctioned it could have possibly have land into Japan.

With any test it needs to be done safely, NK seem to be not testing but winding up the USA and other nation in the region.

I have no doubt that the USA will NOT use nukes on NK.

They will opt if needed for surgical conventional strikes. Sadly some of the population who probably don't support the ruler will pay a price. :(

I have sneaking suspicion that if NK was stupid enough to fire a nuke at anyone at all. China would step into NK and take over themselves.

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Herein lies the central issue of Islam - the Moslems who are killing us could easily be justified as being the 'good' Moslems, according to both the Koran and the Hadith. These documents can also be used to justify such atrocities as Rotherham and Rochdale, as the womenfolk of unbelievers may be taken as slaves and concubines.

The problem is Islam, or living by a sixth century concept of exclusivity and morality.

14. Trannifan

The burka has, particularly for young women with smart-phones, become a somewhat subversive piece of apparel. According to a couple of exhibition curators (women) who'd visited Dubai the fundamentalist islamic ban on young men and young women meeting is being undermined in the following manner - in any shopping mall there are groups of seats and they'd noticed that one group was occupied by young women and on the next, a few metres away, sat the young men and, despite the physical separation and the appearance that everything was above board, there was some sort of contact between the two groups. They then noticed that, now and again, one or other of the girls would slip her smart-phone under her burka and that one or other of the young men somehow reacted to this. It transpired that the girls were sending selfies to the young men, thereby undermining the strong rules about contact between the sexes!

Lynn

15. Trannifan

It's sunday - "Thought for the Day":-

Aided and abetted down the centuries by various imams propogating particularly rigid interpretations of the koran more in line with their own prejudices than anything in the koran and the hadithas. Think a certain al-Wahabi in Saudi Arabia whose concept of Islam is actively being exported by the Saudis as 'development aid'.........Then again, this behaviour isn't a speciality of Islam - there are plenty of followers of judaiism and christianity who favour narrow-minded rigid interpretations of their holy texts, no doubt aided and abetted by selectively reading between the lines and/or a judicious twisting of meanings along the lines of," I know what JC/Moses/Mohammed actually meant or wanted to say...." In Myanmar you can add the Ghautama (Buddha) to the list!

Lynn

Footloose, Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

The (allegedly) Christian headmaster of Fulham Boys School is persecuting a 12 year old boy because of his dreadlocks. The child comes from a Rastafarian family but the headmaster Alun Ebenezer claimed that this is "a matter of discipline". On Radio 4's "Sunday" programme this morning the headmaster was asked what he would do about a Sikh boy coming to school in his turban or a Jewish boy wearing a skullcap. All he would say is that he'd "discuss the matter with the parents". Not quite the same as equipping the kids with bomb belts and sending them home on crowded trains but proof that even Justin Welby's mob contains intolerant prats.

17. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Andrew, even this forum contains intolerant prats. AFAIK, no-one has killed another member yet.

It's nothing to do with religion and everything to do with being human. We're all intolerant to some extent.

18. Andrew Flannigan

I'm with Karl Popper on this one. The only thing we should be intolerant of is intolerance.

Footloose, AndyTake2 and Trannifan like this.
  19. P_Stoddart

Should we be concerned?

Latest from Germany the Nazis (AFD) are on the rise? :eek:

Can't help feel a bit unsettled that we are coming up to 80 years since start of WWII :eek:

Merkel has got her work cut out