1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I never thought I'd write this but...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...why are they piling into Boris? He made a comment about what some people considere a bizarre fashion. So what's wrong with that? Are we no longer allowed to comment on the strange practices of some religions? What price Freedom of Speech in the new theocracy?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Yes, it does come hard to agree with the Boride, but as the old saying has it, even if the biggest fool in the world says that a blue sky is blue, it's still blue.

Spare a thought, too, for motorcyclists, who are required to remove full-face helmets in banks and the like.

Cheers,

R.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Unless of course it is dark grey with thunderclouds

peterba likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

He is the MP for the next constituency, I don't much like a lot of what he says but I do support his right to say it. Freedom of speech precludes a freedom not to be offended, as far as I am concerned, if free speech offends, tough. Not that one should use that freedom to deliberately offend.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It's worth pointing out that he obviously doesn't know of what he speaks (like that's new) - a Burka covers the eyes,the "letter box" is a niqab.

Adrian

Gezza and TheFatControlleR like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

You will note, when you re-read what I said (which was what you quoted), that I was careful to say "that a blue sky is blue".

Cheers,

R.

TheFatControlleR and RogerMac like this.
  7. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

As an aside, I understand R4 Today did BoJo the courtesy of reading out a large section of the Telegraph piece 'to give context' to his offending comment.

Looking forward to similar courtesy being extended to the likes of Corbyn, Abbot, Starmer, etc. in future. :rolleyes:

saxacat and Scphoto like this.
  8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

He's the Member (With malice aforethought) for my constituancy). Until I move to Dorset.

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

it's all a conspiracy against Brexit and Brexiteers;) They'll be saying next that David Davies fiddles his expenses

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I don’t see that happening for a day or two.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Do we want another Trump like figure in power. He has said it to garner support from the right wing of the party. All he is doing is using a minority of people to further his political agenda. This is not about offence this is about using a minority group. On the other side we have Corbyn and the Jewish thing against Johnson and the Arab thing. Party lines are drawn yay.

If politicians can say what they want all the time then we are all working with Trump in the new era of say what you think and damn the consequences. If as a society we allow all religious freedom then we must allow it. If we want to curtail them then let's vote for Johnson. I mean if we want to get back to the wonderful relationship with the good old US of A. BlowJob will be a great PM, Donald and I have a great relationship we had an excellent discussion on the UK banning Muslims from the country's Donald's chosen.

As an individual he can say what he likes as a politician he has to be careful what he says. Motorcyclists may have to take their helmets off in a bank. I'm trying to think of a time when a bank was held up by women wearing burkas.

Trannifan and Scphoto like this.
  12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Can't see how cheap jokes at the expense of people who (whether we like it or not) are sincere, helps anyone, except someone courting fairly banal views.

I would not include banning them in that. They should be banned. They are tribal, not religious (far as I know).

BigWill likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

au contraire mon ami - I want all politicians to say exactly what they believe and not what they think will get my vote.

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Frank,

Dunno. There are however well-documented cases of men disguising themselves in burqas to avoid recognition and capture, and of suicide bombers wearing them. Very few men wear crash helmets to commit acts of terrorism. The argument is that we can judge quite a lot from someone's face, and (if they don't blow themselves to pieces) we have a better chance of catching them afterwards than if they are dressed as ambulating black tents. Or disguise their faces with crash helmets.

Cheers,

R.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  15. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Fortunately you don't have to.

Actually, "fiddles" is unfair. We don't know that he's still doing it. Only that he was at one time fiddling, so "fiddled" would be more accurate.

Cheers,

R.

Learning and spinno like this.
  16. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Surely Andrew everything a politician says is designed to get your vote and in the current climate of using minorities to get them. It becomes rather distasteful, I would like to think we are better than that. If the tories or Johnson want to get votes from the right of the nation as opposed to giving them to UKIP. Then it will happen because the great BJ will suck my left tit to get them. E
    weee!!

17. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Roger moped riders are a menace on our streets. Let's see what the figures are on people using the Burka to commit crimes against motorcyclists using helmets to hide their faces.

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Anyone with a minimally functioning brain would know that such remarks would cause offence. If one makes such remarks in the sure and certain knowledge that said remarks would cause offence then the conclusion that the offence is deliberate is inescapable.

MickLL

19. Andrew Flannigan

In this case I happen to agree with the distasteful Boris.
    This is true but as has been pointed out previously there is no right not to be offended. If there were we wouldn't be able to express our views about Boris.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No there isn't, but there is a law against inciting religious or racial hatred, and I would say that this appalling man is getting closer to the mark than a mainstream politician should.