1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a tour guide!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Olga, Sep 27, 2016.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Any messages will be in your inbox. This site software calls them conversations but most people here call them PM (personal message) which dates from the previous software. I don't much use it and rarely get one. I guess the spam engine scans the inboxes- that is the only reason I can think for a number(unread) to set to zero. The mailbox appears to be configured as a private thread.

Tbe first words of your post established you were from US. Canon don't brand their DSLRs as "Rebel" in Europe! You can also edit your pofile if you want.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It might be that you had '5 alerts' which are not the same thing as messages. Alerts are just notifications that someone has replied to a thread that you've previously posted on, or quoted something you posted etc. Once you click on the Alerts the bit that tells you how many you have, goes away.

I have a Rebel so I didn't make the US connection!

3. Olga

Olga Member

I apologize, PeteRob... the photos I had taken were black & white, that should have been mentioned. Or rather, they were intended to be black and white once I converted them. After I did so is when I was told that I need to boost the contrast.

I did make a red filter with a piece of plastic & took photos in color and b&w to see what would happen. To be honest, I don't recall what I had the white balance set at... maybe 'cloudy'... and the photos did turn out with a red cast, the camera did not correct the color. I switched the color style over to 'monochrome' and took pictures with and without my makeshift filter & definitely saw a difference in the end result.

I'm trying not to sound dense but I don't think I understand the reason why you are saying this won't work because to me it appears that it did. Does doing what I did somehow degrade the quality of the photo?

I figured out that the 'messages' I saw are what are referred to as 'posts' on the other sites I'm registered at!

I did see 'alerts' and when I clicked on them I saw they were responses to the thread, it was the term of 'messages' that had thrown me off. I have it all figured it out now!