1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know we don't 'do' rumours here at AP...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

...but the K-S1, that's a bit tasty, isn't it? Hope it's real :)

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What's that, Atavar, Pentax diversifying into food? Oly

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

My assumption considering the gap around the shutter button having red and green LEDs is that for self timer and other types of self capture, it will go from all red turning green one by one going up the grip and will turn green at the shutter when it takes the picture.

Nice touch if it does work like that really, better than cameras usual psychedelic strobe light show and inessential beeping.

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As long as they don't diversify into the other end that involves the digestive process - that seems to have been covered by another company, eh Oly?

http://et-catalogue.olympus.eu/en/index.php?lang=uk

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Is that an SLR with no control dials? (I'm guessing the dial on the top will be a mode dial)

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

There is the single control wheel on the top and the mode selector dial is on the back around the blue button in the pictures rather than on the left shoulder as with traditional SLR shapes.

Very much assume this is an entry level SLR because of the single control wheel...?

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

my email to Ricoh(Pentax) Imaging Canada on the announcement of the
    K-S1:

Cheers,

Jack

9. 0lybacker

Hi Atavar,

Oooh, cutting! :D

But if Pentax users need to be seduced by flashing lights in new models, how soon before they have a disco ball & smoke machine fitted? Cutting edge - to my mind - seems to put this one firmly alongside the Sigma Quattro.

I rather like the stripped out .. er, I mean basic .... K-500. It's clean, tidy, streamlined, fairly compact and appears to be extremely good value for money. Unlike a product or three from another company I can think of. With the KS-1, Pentax appear to have now caught the same disease afflicting other manufacturers. Note the plural. :(

Cheers, Oly

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I tried to resist... a bit... :D

Glad you took it in the spirit intended.

Pentax is no stranger to doing things a little differently and I for one am glad they have gone global with trying something innovative rather than kept it just for the Japanese market. Yes, a shoulder screen LCD may have been able to be in the place of the LEDs but for an entry level camera, think again. It's an extra level of engagement, not 'bling' for no reason. Did they laugh at Canons Eye Focus Control...? Ok, bad example, but who knows, maybe this is the first in a wave of cameras which give you more info just by looking at the camera rather than chimping the shoulder screen.

That said, red and green, no good for the colour blind (but that never stopped traffic lights) :)

11. 0lybacker

Well, if it gets kids into serious photography, Atavar, instead of hanging around drinking, doing drugs & shoplifting - fine! But, wait a mo! It's a mid-range, not an entry level DSLR. Why didn't they just stick bits of coloured plastic on a K-500? A Blue Peter camera! :D Or make and sell the KS-1 for sixpence ... well, at least significantly less than £200 in the UK?

That would have put the wind up the competition.

Strikes me that they've done an Olympus here: sabotaged their own cohesive range of cameras they were starting to build up, merely to have something for 'an announcement'. Cheers, Oly

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Thinking about this, what makes you assume the 'cohesive' range of traditional SLR bodies and this potential K-Sx range do not exist separately?

13. 0lybacker

Can do, Atavar, it can do. But is it desirable? Certainly costs extra money at the factory end. Does it reduce or increase sales at the consumer end? Are potential purchasers attracted by the extra choice or confused, perhaps to be seduced elsewhere? Do avant garde looking cameras attract purchasers? Not sure the Q series has been an entirely happy experience for Pentax. Will be interesting how many people mention it when asking equipment advice on the Forums. Cheers, Oly

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Most of us Q owners tend to be fully aware of the limitations of the camera before we buy. Those very limitations are part of the appeal to me, it's a fun system that can produce perfectly usable results, but can also do something more arty when pushed to the limit. Not sure those that have bought it were Pentax's original target market, but from what I've seen, they're mostly very experienced photographers, so probably you won't find many questions about the cameras.

15. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Personally, I think it is good to see Pentax widening its appeal and producing cameras that are a bit off the wall. If it encourages first time and perhaps younger members of the public to go Pentax, so much the better for the Company long term. They will upgrade eventually, or at least buy more accessories.

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

That's not to say, Nick, that there won't be endless amounts out whining :D, and I include myself in the line up :)

Cheers,

Jack

17. 0lybacker

Sorry, Nick, I meant the KS-1. If we don't get many mentions for it over the next year 1. It's been an outstanding success - no-one's had problems or 2. It's a total failure - no-one wants to buy it.

If we get lots then it's a partial success - people have bought it and it's broken or is difficult to use. ;) Cheers, Oly