1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know that I am being daft but

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Would a tour of Britain for touring exhibitions work. The route, starting in the South west just because we have to start somewhere. Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Bangor, Chester, Manchester, Keswick, Glasgow, Fort William, Stornaway, Lerwick, Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham, Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich, Canterbury, Brighton, Bournemouth, and Exeter. Add and remove waypoints to refine the idea (but not anywhere in greater London). I have iin mind a fixed venue in each place which always hosts at least one exhibition of photography or other visual arts. The exhibitions join the circuit where there is space and always then do the full circuit back to where they started moving one step every two weeks. Funding would be tricky to get started, but I suspect might be secure once it got going.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The first problem would be funding. Moving artwork can be a very expensive business, accounting for the majority of a touring show's budget. It's interesting to me that initiatives like Artist Rooms are often gifted money but usually for acquisitions, not admin or running expenses, to the extent that the future of the project may be compromised. Crack that and the plan would stand a far better chance of success.

Second problem is saturation. If it tours that widely, each venue would have to expect fewer visitors as folk would have less incentive to travel specially to see the show. But, if funding was in place with that business model of fewer site visits but greater number of venues it may be feasible.

Thirdly is appetite. We are probably an exception as an audience in that we'd go to as many half decent photo shows as we could, whereas the 'art' audience would look for a specific photographer or show. There would of course be a casual or general public audience but harder to forecast and budget for.

Those issues aside, it would be something I'd love to see, I just fear it wouldn't work as easily as you might think.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, and every two weeks would be a logistical nightmare, given hanging, lighting, deinstalling, packaging, loading, unloading, unpacking, installing and lighting takes time to do properly. Realistically two months works better, also easier for visitors to plan.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I fear unless you had real marquee names like McCullin, Bailey etc, it would be a financial failure. Just not the interest.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The only way I could see it working is to have mobile venues - a couple of converted artics done out very plush inside.

Even then it would be expensive, difficult to organise and probably not attract enough people to make it worth the effort.

Would like to see it happen, though.

S

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

As Mike said, you would probably need a big name draw to make it financially worthwhile. There are da Vinci drawings currently touring round museums. Entry is free to see them but I'd be interested to see how much money would be taken if an entry fee was charged.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

All these things require major sponsorship to fund them. Gate money will never cover a fraction.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well I did write that I was being daft. Perhaps sponsorship from a logistics company could do it. I also had other visual arts as well as photography in mind.
    Wot gate money? The art is for sale.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It's a nice idea, and I generally get cross when all folks do is focus on the negatives instead of trying to see how something might work...but oh, so many pitfalls!