1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a picture.

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Christopher David Tansley, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Christopher David Tansley

Christopher David Tansley Well-Known Member

I have a photograph which I have had for some time which is not mine, And I cannot remember where I found it. The question I want to ask is, though it's not mine, can I post it on this site. The reason being is I think it is a beautiful photograph. And I'm sure there are some that would like to see it and give their opinion on it.
    Any information is gratefully received. Many thanks.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I would say no.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Was it found online and downloadable with no limitations/restrictions? Or perhaps you can’t remember maybe.
    If it is in the public domain and it is posted and you are not taking credit for it maybe there isn’t an issue.probably better people than me though in knowing for sure.

4. Christopher David Tansley

Thank you dream police. I'm not sure if I might have found it on Flickr...If that makes any difference???

5. Catriona

It does make a difference if like me, I own the copyright and wouldn't take kindly to someone using it without crediting it to me.

Roger Hicks and Done_rundleCams like this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If it is posted on Flickr, like a lot of our photos are I guess that there is nothing stopping anyone linking an image to a website. I know some of mine have, sometimes people have asked permission and I have been credited. If you were able to download the image then the user probably hasn’t set permissions refusing that. I know people on here have posted links to the photos of others both from Flickr and elsewhere.
    It might not be good practice to do it, but I dare say we can. You could always do a reverse image search and see where else it is and if Flickr, what rights have been set.

7. Catriona

Another thing to remember, is that this site is not a secure site. Anything posted here is searchable.

8. Christopher David Tansley

Yes. That's a good point and well taken. I shall now dismiss the idea of uploading it. Many thanks.

Roger Hicks, RogerMac and Catriona like this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is the exif information still within the picture? If so you may be able to identify the copyright owner. Absence of the information does not allow you to assume anything about permission to use it.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You could run it through Google reverse image search (or TinEye), see if you can find the original source, and check if you have permissions to share it.

Google: Go here, https://images.google.com/ , click the camera icon in the search bar, choose upload an image, upload the image, see if Google can find the original.
    TinEye: Go here, https://www.tineye.com/ , click the up arrow next to the search box, do the same.

You could also go to the file you have in Explorer on your machine (assuming MS Windows), right click, choose properties, choose the details tab, and see if there's any metadata including owner or copyright info.

11. Christopher David Tansley

Thank you all for your comments. I've looked at the image properties and what have you, but I'm no wiser as I couldn't see anything that could convince me I would be doing the right thing. So I think I'll just leave it and admire the photo at my own leisure. Many thanks.