1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Couriers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm like that with window coverings. I can't say curtains, since I don't have any now - just blinds. I feel claustrophobic if I can't look outside.
    I'm afraid my locking doors is hit or miss, like you. I'm getting to the point where I'm more afraid someone can't get in than if they do! My neighbour has keys, as does my old neighbour, but still...

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I really am struggling to get my head round this. From earliest childhood that I can remember (WWII) - in an outer Manchester suburb, front doors have always been locked. In Milton Keynes in addition to the theft by carpet fitters, I've been burgled twice - both times were around the period of the Falklands War, and a few weeks apart. In one case, my front door was bashed open, and in the second, entrance was via a window by the front door. Fortunately, very little of monetary value was taken - returned engagement ring, and heirloom pocket watch. In addition to reporting the matter to the Police, I wondered whether the burglaries were cover for bugging my home. I always assumed that my office at work was bugged, and typewriter ribbons were always collected and disposed of via secure methods. I've obviously got a different mindset.

3. Catriona

And obviously got people around with a different mindset to the ones geren and I have got.
    I have very little worth stealing anyway! It's rather nice living the simple life.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Catriona

You mean you have matters/files of national security in your home?? And talk about them on an unsecure telephone line? Oh my! Having been one of a couple working with and having access to sensitive data, I must say I'm surprised. I used to have to lock up filing cabinets at work before going to the loo! Taught me never to delay it. Haha! Hubby's work did limit our holiday destinations, which was a shame - but let's face it - you can find out just about anything online these days - and even on memory sticks lying around for someone to find (as today).
    I'm glad to live the way I do now. I lived in my previous old house for nearly 30 years and never locked the doors.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

My place is such a tip that burglars would have to spend a couple of hours tidying up before they could start looking for stuff worth nicking! :oops:

steveandthedogs, peterba and Catriona like this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Looking at my daughter's room, I can only assume it's a deliberate ploy on her part - keep it so messy that any would-be burglars would take one look and assume someone else beat them to it!

SXH, peterba and Catriona like this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sorry you've had such a poor experience, but as I say, in the village where I lived for 16 years we regularly didnt bother locking doors. I recall one occasion when we were supposed to be driving to France and we'd gone about half a mile down the road when I decided we ought to turn back and get my spare camera batteries afterall. As we pulled up to the driveway, I noticed the back door was open. Not just unlocked but wide open. I think going away for three weeks with it in that state might have been pushing our luck a bit but in all the time we lived there we were never burgled and our neighbours knew to just come in and call out.

Where we are now, it seems more sensible to lock up, as we share a stairwell with three other properties, but to be honest I don't worry about any of them too much and if we do get any stray randomers trying to get in at the bottom they're usually so drunk they wouldn't have the wit to commit theft!

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Definitely not. And we never discussed matters of a secure nature on an open line, but we did wonder if the other side might have been on a fishing expedition. As it was, none of our equipment was involved in the Falklands War, but it was there afterwards as a deterrent.

Catriona likes this.
  9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The one time we were burgled the policeman looked at the living room and said wasn't it a shame they left the room in such a mess?

They hadn't......

John Farrell and peterba like this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Did you tell him that?:)

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

As I get older I can stand mess and clutter less and less!

Craig20264 and Catriona like this.
  12. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I hate so many things but couriers is not one of them. Being disabled has its plus side. All the local couriers now I am always in and am in the wheelchair so hang around once they have rung the bell. I often have two or three people's parcels dropped here. So after living here for thirty years I am on speaking terms with more people than ever!

Zou, beatnik69 and Geren like this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dunno how many people here lock their doors (village <1000 people). I certainly forget from time to time, during the day, but it strikes me as being a bit rash not to lock 'em at night. Also, I try not to leave expensive cameras too close to unlocked front doors.

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

How would insurance companies react to a claim for theft from a house left unsecured?

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

At the very least I would reckon they would regard it as contributory negligence and use that as a reason to reject a claim. Whether we leave the home unlocked to start with will either be a matter of omission or where we live.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm sure that they'd react very much as nimbus has said. How comfortable anyone is with that knowledge at the back of their mind must be down to them and them alone. It was always going to be a case of 'it's fine...until it isn't' though.

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  17. Catriona

and Insurance Companies will usually find some wrinkle to downgrade a claim anyway. I remember claiming for an oil tank leak - actually a badly done service and nut not done up tightly.
    They refused to pay out for my newly filled up tank (which I lost all the contents of) - because it was over 5 years old. Duh? That hadn't been mentioned beforehand - but I was so cheesed off, I just turned away in disgust.

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

My experience of insurance companies has been good. Two years ago our house was flooded (along with 1000 or so others). We were out of it 14 weeks, while it was repaired. There were no problems with the insurance during the repair.

ascu75, peterba and Catriona like this.
  19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

John, that is good to hear, and your insurers are to be commended. I wish such positive experiences with insurance companies were more commonplace, but in general, sadly, I've heard more 'bad' than 'good'... :(

20. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Insurance companies here leaned a lot after the Christchurch earthquakes, in 2010 and 2011.