1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Couriers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Oct 28, 2017.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

First of all I booked a redelivery of 3 packages from Royal Mail in the week to the "Bells" and only 2 arrived so I had to call them and get that added to the other stuff I was getting redelivered here this morning. Okay that arrived, Hermes have been trying to deliver a parcel but they will keep turning up when I am at work! So last night was their third attempt and they said it would now be returned. I did an online chat with the supplier who promised they'd spoken to Hermes and it would be delivered today.

This morning I got a text from Royal Mail saying they would be delivering a parcel for me today so I sat around then about 12 got a text and an email saying they had either delivered it or left it with a neighbour and left a card telling me where it was,

They had done neither so half an hour negotiating the Byzantine maze that is their automated service before the system gave in and let me speak to a Human being. She then tried to contact my local delivery office to speak to them. I was on hold for nearly 15 minutes before she came back and said she'd tried both numbers and got no answer (I told her I wasn't surprised as they have always been rubbish) so she has now raised a complaint and it could take up to 10 working days for my parcel to show up!

Thought I'd see what was happening with the Hermes parcel. Apparently it's being returned to sender despite according to their tracking system having been securely left in my garage on the 17th....

I don't have a car never mind a garage

Anyway their live chat denied they'd received the call and told me to contact the sender and hung up

Retailer was okay they apologised (as they should for using such a shower as Hermes) but they can't organise a redelivery so since this shoes for a job interview Monday I said I would reorder them now and pay for next day. They gave me 25% off my order, which was good of them and paid for the extra for next day delivery.

Except apparently "next day" means Monday so I have visions of coming home (Interview is at 6.30 so I can pop in) and finding yet another card

So I have just wasted two hours of my day not to mention the fact I have been sitting indoors when I could have gone out and what do I have to show for it? High blood pressure, eyestrain, headache and possible RSI from those useless chat rooms but certainly no parcels!

I think strong drink may well be in order

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Leslie,

This is one of many reasons why I buy very little on line, especially things that (a) need to fit or (b) are time critical.

Cheers,

R.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My experiences with Hermes have been varied. Recently a parcel containing a lens was left on the doorstep! The previous local delivery man appears to have gone, he was very good indeed, items now seem to be a different person every time. I do use them for some items from Ebay, where Royal Mail is vastly more expensive, but Royal Mail are my preference, my usual local Postman is very helpful with deliveries, that means they are probably about to move him on.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Since Amazon appear to have gone over to their own couriers (Amazon Logistics) or Royal Mail I've not had any problems with them, on Ebay I now try and limit purchases to those using Royal Mail; I've not used any other sellers recently so fingers crossed!

5. LesleySM

A. I only buy from a couple of places where I have brought stuff from them in a shop so I know it will fit
    B I ordered these shoes nearly 2 weeks' ago and they weren't time critical then and I didn't expect to be landed with this interview then I was only asked if I was interested in being put for the post Thursday afternoon

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yodel have lost my book. Not a book I ordered, the one I made for my degree. It was entered into a competition in the Netherlands, made the first round of judging but not the second and so the organisers mailed it back to me. When I called to find out when I could expect to get my book back they said they'd posted it and that Yodel were returning it to them because I had refused delivery. I don't think so. I am now waiting for the organisers to get back to me to say that my book is back with them but so far...nothing. That book represented blood, sweat and tears and not an inconsiderable amount of money and I very much doubt I'll ever see it again.

A different courier was supposed to be delivering us a laptop charging cabinet at work. After no sign of it for several days after we'd been promised delivery we had a call to ask why we kept refusing it. Needless to say we hadn't been doing. We were told that the driver had been told 'not to try to deliver again' so obviously someone somewhere was getting very fed up with their repeated attempts. Thing is, we're the only obvioulsy non-residential building in, not just our street, but several streets. We simply cannot fathom where they thought they were delivering to!

Catriona likes this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I recently had a Hermes courier knock on the door and then leave the parcel just outside the door. I only know this because I managed to see him through the door lens. When I began to undo the door, he picked up,the parcel and handed it to me, telling me 'I have put a scribble on here for you' indicating the electronic receipt book.

Glad the buggers never delivered something like a camera or lens.

8. LesleySM

According to Hermes I've signed for deliveries on occasions when I have been at work at the time!

Hermes couriers seem to lack common sense. I live in a house that has been converted into 3 flats. The DpD courier will ring my bell and not getting an answer will ring another bell. I get texts saying my parcel was delivered and who signed for it

peterba likes this.
  9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Each week I send and receive quite a few parcels.Those I send are either RM up to 2k or Hermes over 2k. Over the years I've had remarkably few problems with either company. Maybe I'm just lucky.

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, I have found most of the couriers to be anywhere from poor, to utterly bloody useless. The now-defunct (unsurprisingly), and totally-unlamented CityLink were easily the worst, IME.

I have found that DPD get right almost every time. I receive a message advising me of the 1-hour slot during which the item will be delivered, and then............... they actually deliver it! And always within the time slot! A truly revolutionary new way of doing things...

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I've had a problems with Hermes in the past, an absolute nightmare to deal with if things don't arrive , lying when they say attempted delivery etc.
    I must now say that we have had quite a few Hermes deliveries recently and they have been very good. It has always been the same delivery guy who has a bit of a chat, so fair play to the company (unless i've just been lucky). DPD and Amazon I cannot fault either. Of course my opinion could change in a flash when it all goes t*ts up again!

12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hermes are ok as long as we get the same driver. We have a safe place for him so he knows where to leave the parcels. Pot luck with the other drivers. We have a Royal Mail driver living three doors away, so no problems there. He keeps our parcels until he sees we're in, then pops them around.
    We did have an issue with Amazon leaving parcels as much as five houses away! Quite embarrassing when you don't know the occupants. A stern e mail from Mrs Craig stopped that little game.
    DPD have a great system in place I think, so never any issues with them.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I would have been embarrassed too. :)

[​IMG]

beatnik69 and Craig20264 like this.
  14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I normally use Royal Mail to send items, it is the most convenient way to do it, but occasionally use Hermes due to weight or size of parcel. I have had two items go astray with Royal Mail, one of those was sent to Italy, in that case I put no blame on RM, who duly paid out for the lost item. The other happened when the recipient was out and they did not leave a red card, subsequently they were unable to find the item after having claimed it was being returned to me, again they paid out. I have found RM Special Delivery to be excellent, the only time they have missed the guaranteed delivery time was in a really isolated place, Romford! That one was a full day late in being delivered. Hermes have not lost anything so far, but it is a small number of items, they can be very slow though.

15. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A few years ago I ordered a print from Whitewall who sent an e-mail saying your purchase has ben dispatched, here is the tracking number. If I remember rightly, DHL were supposed to be delivering but anyway, just for fun, I sat there at the PC following the progress of the tracking number.........'10 minutes to delivery..............5 minutes to delivery............Not delivered, customer not at home(!) I phoned the parcels company and gave them an earful - after all, I'd sat there watching the progress and nobody, but nobody had wrung my doorbell and there wasn't a 'Sorry you weren't in' slip in the letterbox. A while later I had to go out and do a bit of shopping and, going down the road, I noticed a somewhat scruffy parcels van with, in the passenger seat, a parcel which, from the shape and size, could have been mine. When I got home I checked my letterbox and found a extremely crumpled 'Sorry, you weren't in..' slip, which certainly hadn't been there before, which meant going down to the main post-office and parcels centre - and they got an earful too!

On the other hand, I'm always being asked to take parcels for one or other of the neighbours. It's getting to the point where the drivers and I joke about it!

Lynn

16. Craig20264

Quality. :D:D

17. Craig20264

The more I look at it, the more I laugh. Certainly cheered my morning up :D

dream_police likes this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's a horrid thing to happen. Yodel do seem to be the worst - as well as Hermes. Most of my mail and packages come via Royal Mail and I have no problems. I hate it when it's a carrier, but I'm usually fortunate because they pass it on to an Island carrier and I find the parcel in my hallway!
    Have you no other avenue to follow re your book? Can you contact the organisers by telephone or just email? Good luck and I hope you get it back eventually.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Does that imply that your home is normally unlocked? I can't lock my porch, but I certainly lock my front door. Having had items stolen by carpet fitters when I first moved here - and when I was in the house, I'm a bit paranoid about letting anyone in, other than close friends.

Very sorry to hear of other's problems with couriers - mine have been mainly good, with the worst problem not knowing when some of them will arrive.

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Kate - I have emailed the organisers and was told they'd contact me again once they had the book back. I had requested that they send it back with a different courier. However I'm yet to hear from them. I will need to contact them again clearly.

Malcolm - now that we've moved into town we do try to remember and lock our front door but to be honest it's a bit hit and miss. After 16 years of living in a village where hardly anyone locked their door it's hard to get into the habit now.

Catriona likes this.